Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help getting my cheap chinese laser running please.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Reimer View Post
    Yes, I'm in Canada.
    Well I assume you have the same 110v power as the US. If the laser really is 240v then you will have that at the dryer outlet in the laundry.

If I were doing this I would disconnect the output of the power supply.

Aaron, I just can't bring myself to do this. I just wrote a page of instructions and I am scaring myself s...less here and deleted it all. Suffice to say, get an electronics guy to do this. He will disconnect stuff and power it up safely. This is not your average piece of home electronics working at 12vdc and just blows fuses if it is wrong. I do not see ANY FUSES anywhere. There are some very serious voltages here.

Sorry, but I cannot help further it is just too risky for a novice to attempt.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Hey, don't worry about it... I won't touch wiring anyway (except maybe to change a light fixture). There is a fuse right about the power inlet. I think the best solution is the external step up transformer that was recommended. I just need to know what wattage I'll need on the transformer; I've found them between 50 and 3000 watts.

I just need to know what wattage I'll need on the transformer; I've found them between 50 and 3000 watts.
    Hi again Aaron,

The ebay thing said Gross Wattage 280 so I would at least double that so it is not running at max and getting too hot. If the closest Wattage ratings you can get are 500 and 700 go for the 700. You should never run electronics beyond about 80% capacity as a max.

I would still be cautious and disconnect the output of the power supply and to make sure, but it might be OK.

Oh and another thing I thought of, if the manual has not already mentioned it. Never run the thing without water circulating. With no water running and after about 30seconds or so you will hear the quietest of "clicks" and no burning marks coming out of the other end. A glass laser tube "breaking" is very uneventful. Don't ask how I know!!
    Dave J

I have not looked at the ebay site, but if this seller is 'in' Canada, and selling lasers or any electrical equipment, it, by law must be inspected and approved before the consumer receives it, and will have a sticker on it saying so.. If you imported the laser from another country, it's up to you to have it inspected, and approved for use, or your insurance company may have something to say (probably "your out of luck" if it causes a fire).. I don't know 'where ' you are in Canada, but if your in Ontario, Ontario Hydro, or OPA (Ontario Power Authority) are the inspecting authorities.. Or contact your local utility in your province for information on who can inspect this unit..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    Hi again Aaron,

The ebay thing said Gross Wattage 280 so I would at least double that so it is not running at max and getting too hot. If the closest Wattage ratings you can get are 500 and 700 go for the 700. You should never run electronics beyond about 80% capacity as a max.

I would still be cautious and disconnect the output of the power supply and to make sure, but it might be OK.

Oh and another thing I thought of, if the manual has not already mentioned it. Never run the thing without water circulating. With no water running and after about 30seconds or so you will hear the quietest of "clicks" and no burning marks coming out of the other end. A glass laser tube "breaking" is very uneventful. Don't ask how I know!!
    The seller is claiming that all it will need is a simple travel converter liker this: but in 300 or 500 watts.

Any chance he's right?

Aaron,

Seller is wrong on this. Travel converter kit will lower 240v for you to use 120v appliances overseas. In this case you need step-up transformer or simplly use 240v circuit in your home or shop to supply to engraver than requires 240v incoming supply.
    Every home or business allready have 240v, what you need is connection like you would run for stove, dryer, baseboard heater or any appliance needing 240v.

The seller is claiming that all it will need is a simple travel converter liker this:
    Hi Aaron,

If they say that then give this company a try...

http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com
    Dave J

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lenkic View Post
    Aaron,

Seller is wrong on this. Travel converter kit will lower 240v for you to use 120v appliances overseas. In this case you need step-up transformer or simplly use 240v circuit in your home or shop to supply to engraver than requires 240v incoming supply.
    Every home or business allready have 240v, what you need is connection like you would run for stove, dryer, baseboard heater or any appliance needing 240v.
    OK... the plate on the side of the laser says 450 watts, the fan is 40, and the pump 25. I've purchased this 750w transformer, and this power bar. That's a total of 515 watts, and 80% capacity for a 750w transformer should be 600w. Hopefully it will be okay. The site seems to have good prices, and shipping warehouses in Canada and the US so no duty.

plate on the side of the laser says 450 watts
    I've purchased this 750w transformer, and this power bar.

Hi Aaron,

Sounds like you are underway. Please let us know how it all works out.
    Dave J

Aaron,

For the price differance I would have purchased next one up VC1000W.

Under normal condition the unit you've selected should work OK, but next one up will run cooler and will last longer even if voltages fluctuate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lenkic View Post
    Aaron,

For the price differance I would have purchased next one up VC1000W.

Under normal condition the unit you've selected should work OK, but next one up will run cooler and will last longer even if voltages fluctuate.
    I guess hindsight's 20/20. I think you're right. It's already on the truck for delivery though, so too late to change. Really fast shipping.

Aaron,

From your profile I see you are in Orillia.
    Did you buy that laser locally or direct from China?

Direct from China looking to save some money... kicking myself a bit for that now. It's going to be quite a challenge to figure out how to get everything working properly without good tech support.

It's going to be quite a challenge to figure out how to get everything working properly without good tech support.
    Hi Aaron,

Speaking of which, how is it all working out with the up-converter? Inquiring mounds need to grow.
    Dave J

Once I hooked up the box and plugged everything in to the power bar the fan started humming nicely, and the pump stopped stuttering and worked as it's supposed to. I have the mirrors halfway aligned now (it's really cramped to get at the alignment screws) but I'm confident I'll have them set alright today.

I have yet to figure out how to make my computer talk to it, though. I've installed the moshidraw software that comes with it, but I can't figure out how to maneuver the head. Also, no icons have popped up in Corel X3 as I was expecting, so once I know the laser is working, that's the next challenge.