Thread: Living room shelves

Living room shelves

I am starting to design some shelves for my living room that will be modeled after the attached picture. I am trying to figure out the best way to approach this.

Should I make torsion box shelves attached to hidden cleats? How then should I attach the vertical dividers? ... and does anyone have experience with and tips for a library ladder?
    Attached Images Attached Images

an also

I forgot to mention that I will do cabinets across the bottom, but not up the side as show on the left side.

Please help!

I would consider finish nails and wood filler and pocket hole screws and plugs. Kreg has a good trim DVD that would be worth looking at. Also could you build the plywood and shelf sections in the shop nail from the back and then install?

How about attaching the verticals, before you enclose the torsion box.
    No experience with the ladder, my walls are only eight feet and that would be an utter waste of space for me.

shameless bump

Looking for more feedback on this.

6. Hello Ray,

Do you want to duplicate the exact style of the unit in your photo? If so, the horizontal shelves are thicker than the vertical dividers. Additionally, the whole thing appears to be veneered. It is a Euro-style frameless construction. You will need to plan carefully and don't underestimate the detail involved in creating such a smooth appearance.

If you simply want to copy the layout but use simpler construction techniques, you can build a series of small bookcase units and mount them to your wall. Then you can attach face frames, etc.

You can buy the metal hardware for those library ladders. A google search will turn up something.

I think more specific questions/info would be helpful. You will get better replies if you ask some more detailed questions. As of right now, going off of your photo, it appears to be a complex project, and I can't tell what elements you want to duplicate or what your skill level is.

I thought that I was pretty specific in my questions, but I guess I missed the mark.

Yes, I want to very closely replicate the shelves. I am not concerned about building the cabinets on the bottom, as I have done several similar projects and have gotten pretty comfortable with frameless cabinets. Because this project is for my wife, I can only guess that she may be comfortable with the idea of some bookcase units with face frames. That is a good idea that I will have to run by her.

In looking at the shelves in the picture, I wondered if they are Torsion Boxes that are attached to wall-mounted cleats. That would be a good way to securely attach them with no visible connectors. Using the bookcase with face frame approach, I am trying to figure out how to attach them to the wall in an invisible way.

I know that there are hardware kits for the library system, but I am hoping to benefit from the wise members of SMC before I get started and make any silly mistakes.

Thanks.
    Ray

Two Questions

I the room huge? It will feel smaller fast with all that woodwork. And...
    Is the room in California? If so, consider earthquake generated flying objects.

I have built a couple library rooms in large residences. I bought the hardware (cannot off hand remember where) and made ladder of matching wood. These are mainly "architectural elements" and tremendously impractical. Most of the stuff up high is never touched again except by the spiders, which move in before the finish dries.

As i recall, I made the boxes in modules, 36x84 and 36x48 approx. Then set them by screwing them together (sides) then screwing the whole thing to the walls. Then did some fancy face frame application, piece by piece.
    FRITZ

NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE.
    Buckaroo Banzai [/SIGPIC]

Ray,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ng+Maple+Shelf

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...floating+shelf

While a torsion box seems to be the standard, due to using wood and not buying hardware, there are hardware options, as well:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,43648,43649

I've heard them called Torsion box shelves and floating shelves before (found more here via floating shelf), but when searching found them also called, bracketless shelves.

The room is fairly large. I am not going to make the shelves very deep. My wife is a decorator and came up with the idea for this room, so I am not going to question the approach. I am just the worker in this operation!

I think that I will design and build the cabinets, and then I can do a couple of prototypes using TB and plywood with faceframe.

Thanks for the help!

Opinion time

Howdy Ray,

Here's my 2 cents...

I think this calls for individual 3/4" plywood boxes attached in the back to wall studs with hurricane ties. I would attach each course of boxes with minimal finish nails (2 or 3) at the back portion of each box to the lower course of boxes. Don't think wall unit/library, think stacks of boxes. I would face it with 1 1/2" stiles. Also, finishing the insides of the boxes and backs separately, and lastly blend and finish the stiles after final assembly. This technique will allow you flexibility in assembly because smaller units are easier to handle than large wall units.

That's how I've done built-ins with excellent results in a one man shop.

Good luck,

Jeff