Thread: Maple Wood Lasering

Maple Wood Lasering

Hello Everyone,

I am doing a project with maple and was wondering if anyone had any advise on what can be one to make a logo appear darker on the wood? I am using both vector and bitmap images so on some i have changed my fill to 80% vs. 100% fill which does seem to help the logo appear more consistent and darker, however Im having a problem because the logo is very shadowy, and light. I have burned with my epilog 36EXT 120 watt at 100% power and 100% speed and its still not coming out very promising? HELP!!

The first thing I would do is lower the speed and raise the resolution. You may also have to reduce power as strange as that sounds.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I find on some woods, that a quick pass to burn through the finish and/or outer layer, then a slower high DPI pass will generally give a good burn. However on some woods like Birch or basswood you may never get a good burn. Then you have to turn to color fill.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I got a good dark burn on a clear maple cutting board with 100 power, 40 speed - but that was on a 25w Epilog.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

5. Try to move it out of focus a bit, and engrave with lower speed and lower power. I usually use about 50/50 when engraving wood on my 25W (32W true power) mercury.