Thread: Morse #2 threaded adapter for tail stock

Morse #2 threaded adapter for tail stock

I'm looking for a means to mount a face plate or even a second chuck on my tail stock, I understand there are threaded adapters on a MT-2 but I haven't been able to find it online. Can anyone here tell me where I might be able to purchase one?

I have a Jet 14" X 42" VS. and need the adapter to be 1" X 8TPI

Thanks for any help offered.

Tim

Here are a couple of options

If you already have the Oneway live center, here's an adapter that will allow it to accept a chuck:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st..._adapter?Args=

If you don't have the Oneway live center, here's another option:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LTCA18.html

Hope this helps.

Do you want the chuck or faceplate to rotate on the tailstock? I have a fixed adapter, 1-1/4-8, MT2, that I often use for alignment. Maybe from Best Wood Tools? Don't recall.
    Richard in Wimberley

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    Do you want the chuck or faceplate to rotate on the tailstock? I have a fixed adapter, 1-1/4-8, MT2, that I often use for alignment. Maybe from Best Wood Tools? Don't recall.
    Hey Richard, good question ... I do think having the tail stock mounted face plate being able to rotate would be useful. My plan is for aligning and glue up of segmented rings.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    If you already have the Oneway live center, here's an adapter that will allow it to accept a chuck:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st..._adapter?Args=

If you don't have the Oneway live center, here's another option:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LTCA18.html

Hope this helps.
    Hi David ... I just took a look at the PSI adapter and it seems like exactly what I had in mind. Sure appreciate the link.

Tim

Tim,
    That is exactly what I use mine for (mostly). Have one on the lathe right now waiting for glue to dry. I turn a jam chuck (close fit into the ring) on a piece of pine in a scroll chuck. Put it on the adapter and onto the tailstock. The workpiece (glued to another piece in another chuck) goes back on the spindle, add glue and the new ring, rotate spindle a bit to get even glue distribution and set joint alignment, and squeeze with the tailstock.
    Richard in Wimberley

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    Tim,
    That is exactly what I use mine for (mostly). Have one on the lathe right now waiting for glue to dry. I turn a jam chuck (close fit into the ring) on a piece of pine in a scroll chuck. Put it on the adapter and onto the tailstock. The workpiece (glued to another piece in another chuck) goes back on the spindle, add glue and the new ring, rotate spindle a bit to get even glue distribution and set joint alignment, and squeeze with the tailstock.
    Richard .... your feedback suggests I'm on the right track here, I've been turning for several years now but the learning curve has been challenging.

What do you guys think about the Barracuda chucks?

Thanks ... Tim

Tim,
    Can't help with that chuck. Have two of the $99 Grizzly chucks, said to be clones of one of the Vicmarc products. They seem to center fairly well, grip the wood very well, and cause it to rotate when the lathe is turned on.

For larger rings, one can hold/align them with a home made Longworth chuck, using the same adapter.

Edit: Segmented alignment thought for the angularly challenged. The angle cuts on my segments are seldom perfect. Even if one ring is perfect, the next one isn't. Granted that "best practice" is to lightly sand segment ends to perfection via disc sander, I usually glue up to half rings and sand the ends of the latter to "perfection". Results in slightly oval rings, which if randomly oriented will ruin the joint alignment in the entire piece. I mark the ends of the half rings and offset these joints left and right in essentially the same place, not distributed randomly around the piece. This helps maintain good joint alignment throughout the piece with all the "ovals" pointed in essentially the same direction. It's a small thing. But sanding scratches are small things, and we don't like to see them.
    Last edited by Richard Madison; 11-03-2008 at 9:52 PM.
    Richard in Wimberley

Who ever makes the fancy threading jigs has the attachment you are seeking.

Tim I have the one mentioned here from PSI. I use it to center a piece in my donut chuck or vacuum chuck. It does work well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.