Thread: Need BR "SUITE" Furniture Plans

Blog Entries

Need BR "SUITE" Furniture Plans

We just moved to a new custom built home, so now it is time to get rid of the 27 year old BR furniture and make some new. I am thinking of something like tiger maple. I have seen some that I like in an Amish store and would be happy with that look, however I am not skilled enough to see and build. I need plans to help and especially expedite the project. I will need a king bed, two nightstands, a chest and a dresser.

When I search for plans, I only see individual components, not a suite. Any idea where I can find plans for an entire BR suite?

Thanks in advance,

Tim in Houston

I don't know that I've ever seen a set of plans that included all the components...and one man's furniture selections in a suite might be different than the next. WOOD Magazine has a number of plans available for bedroom furniture in more than one style, but yes, they are not sold as a "suite".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Woodsmith Magazine also had a BR suite. It was spread out over several issues. I've made a few of the pieces (bed, bedside tables, armoire). The style is sort of Shaker. I used cherry. DB
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

I came across a load of walnut for dirt cheap recently and have also been looking for bedroom suite plans. I've made a crib and twin headboards without plans, but in this case I agree with Tim - I think the plans will help speed up production. I'm even willing to pay for a decent set, but can't seem to find much online other than the typical "cherry, shaker, mission, sleigh, poster bed" stuff. I'd also prefer to skip the footboard but still have a wooden frame/platform under the mattress.

The best free plans I've found online so far is a 100th Anniversary mahogany bedroom set at Popular Mechanics. There's a plan for the bed, nightstand, and chest of drawers (no dresser); as well as a side chair, dining table, bookcase, and desk. Also, if you click the link to the "section archive", you'll find all of their published woodworking plans for the last 10 years or so archived over 4 pages. There's some good stuff there, a few other bedroom furniture plans too.

I know there are many books on furniture building out there, so I plan to visit my local library soon to see what else I can find.

If anybody else has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Wood Magazine still has an issue on stands that continues their bedroom set. Of course, it's Shaker style. Issue 188 has the dresser, valet and mirror. 187 has the bed and nightstand. They claim to ship fast, but I've never tried their store.