Thread: Decided on "Deer Camp Party Favors". Need advice on making some DICE

Decided on "Deer Camp Party Favors". Need advice on making some DICE

After my post of last week and some good suggestions by a lot of you, I have decided to make dice cups and dice for this year's "Deer Camp Party Favors".

Turning the dice cups is going to be no problem. Cutting the wooden cubes to make the dice, no problem. The problem might be how to mark and drill to "spots" on the face of each die. I assume I will use a small twist drill bit to make a shallow recess for each "spot", color-fill the "spot" and then finish. The dice will be relatively small, probably 5/8" or 3/4" cubes.

Any suggestions as to how to accurately mark and drill each "spot"? Some sort of template? Just mark each one separately? What do you think?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Royce Meritt; 11-04-2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: typo
    If fishing is a sport I MUST be an athlete!"

Blog Entries
    So you don't accidently "load" the dice by removing material which would change the ballance, why not just paint on the dots. Make a template for each side and spray paint the dots.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-04-2008 at 4:14 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Royce,

Rockler recently had a sale on a drilling template for dominos, which have the same dot pattern as dice from 1 to 6. Included a centering bit.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    So you don't accidently "load" the dice by removing material which would change teh ballance, why not just paint on the dots. Make a template for each side and spray paint the dots.
    Actually, I considered "accidentally" loading the dice from my set on purpose!

Quote Originally Posted by James Hart View Post
    Royce,

Rockler recently had a sale on a drilling template for dominos, which have the same dot pattern as dice from 1 to 6. Included a centering bit.

Jim

I have seen the domino template. I think it would be MUCH larger than my dice will be so I don't think it would work.