Thread: Tall (Grandfather's) Clock Plans

Tall (Grandfather's) Clock Plans

I've been looking high and low for a set of plans for an early American tall clock plan. I'd prefer one with detailed instructions. So far no luck. (Well, I've found some - like Norm's - but not stylish enough). Today I ran across Shopsmith's electronic magazine, Hands On. I was impressed. They had a three part article on building one in late 2000 and early 2001. Does anyone know if this is availabe in hard copy? It is tough following the plans when they are computer screen size. BTW I'm going to be looking in on this publication from time to time. I was pleased that they had so many interesting projects.

Here is the current issue link. http://www.shopsmithhandson.com/
    18th century nut --- Carl

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Eyman
    I've been looking high and low for a set of plans for an early American tall clock plan. I'd prefer one with detailed instructions. So far no luck. (Well, I've found some - like Norm's - but not stylish enough).
    Carl,

I have plans for the 7' Granfather shown below. In the early 90's i made a half dozen from these plans. I will be more than willing to let you borrow a set to have reproduced.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carl, I saw several issues of a Shopsmith? mag at Woodworking Machinery & Supplies in Belmont, NC yesterday. I almost picked one up, myself. On the cover was a clock like the one you want to build. It was from around 2000 or 20001.
    He has copies of a lot of old mags.
    I bought a Dec '98 AWW (#70) yesterday.
    Give Walter a call. He ships equipment all around the globe.
    Woodworking Machinery & Supplies
    290 Beatty Drive
    Belmont, NC 28012
    704-827-3190
    Last edited by Gary Whitt; 05-27-2004 at 9:19 AM.
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

Shopsmith

Gary, many thanks. I ran across that 3 part article on the web thru google. It comes pretty close to what I want. I am going to contact the source to see if they have it in hard copy. I tried printing out the plans from the site, and I don't believe I could operate from those plans. Since I would have to alter them to provide a pinched waist, I know I'd mess it up. Thanks for the lead.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Gary, many thanks. I ran across that 3 part article on the web thru google. It comes pretty close to what I want. I am going to contact the source to see if they have it in hard copy. I tried printing out the plans from the site, and I don't believe I could operate from those plans. Since I would have to alter them to provide a pinched waist, I know I'd mess it up. Thanks for the lead.
    Check your PM's - I am sure I have something you can use.

Blog Entries
    Carl,
    Shopsmith used to publish Hands-on as a paper magazine back in the 70's. All owners got a subscription. I have my fathers SS purchased arround 1976 and it still works! I also have several of the magazines. A few years ago they revived hands-on as a web based publication. Most of the articles in the on-line version are just reprints of the articles from the 70's including the 3 part clock project you mentioned. I am sure that shopsmith will sell you the plans for it. (probably be $35 with $12 shipping and 10% sales tax though)
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hands

I 'phoned them today, Larry, and was told no paper. Just as well, I guess, my "customer" wanted so many style changes I'd about have to star from scratch. I was impressed with the publication, though. I love to see a shopsmith demo. Those demonstrators make those machines jump through hoops. I never could quite get interested, though. Thanks for your input.

Did you see this months edition of Wood magazine?

Might be something like you want. I dunno but werf a look..........

I looked at the woodmagazine.com site and reviewed their May issue, but didn't see anything about clocks. Was it an earlier issue Rob? Thanks for the reply.

I looked at the woodmagazine.com site and reviewed their May issue, but didn't see anything about clocks. Was it an earlier issue Rob? Thanks for the reply.
    You want to be looking at the June/July issue which has been out for a few weeks now. There is a nice Arts and Crafts Tall Clock on page 38. While not the style you want, it would serve to help you understand the construction for such an animal. Don't forget to check with Klockit, Schlebaugh (in the WOODMALL at WOOD Online), etc., for plans, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim beat me to it..........

Cheers bud.