Thread: "Pool Toy" Storage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Pool Toy" Storage

One of the projects that my wife wants me to tackle in the very near future is a storage box that will sit on our deck which will hold all of the various pool toys my son and his friends (not to mention us! ) will use this summer. So I put my thinking cap on and came up with the drawing you see below. I'm thinking I'm going to try my hand at making louvers, using the jig that Norm provides in his two-part "Shop Jigs" show. Both the front and the back of the box length-wise will be stationary louveres to allow for the maximum airflow through the box. The bottom will be slats that run lengthwise. I'm thinking of leaving a half-inch slat for drainage. The ends will be glued-up panels. For a nice look, I'm going to try my hand at a breadboard edging. The dimensions are shown in the picture, but I am absolutely looking for some other opinions on the design/wood choice/etc. Right now, I'm thinking about using either cypress or cedar (probably cedar). Thanks for you help!!

Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good, Keith. Air flow is certainly of chief concern and I don't think I would use anything but a structural epoxy for adhesive as this will certainly be outside all the time, right? Structural epoxies can live underwater! However, it appears that a poly or Titebond III would work as well, too. The T3 is much less expensive than poly.

Will the box be under your eaves? Will it get some protection from water? I am just wondering about your flat top thinking in terms of a flat roof. Maybe it would look silly but just a hint of a pitch to your top might be enough to keep water from puddling. Perhaps make the pitch an 1/8" per 1 foot...so like 3/8"? This would make the dimension along the back 2' 5 7/16".
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Hmmmm.....hadn't thought of the pitched roof, actually. Good point, though. I'll mull that over as I go forward. Thanks!

The box will have zero protection from the elements, as it will sit almost directly off the pool on a deck. I just bought a nice big bottle of TitebondIII that I was going to use for this and a few other outdoor projects.

How do you plan to finish it? There is a thread on Ipe in the main forum...check it out. That wood might be ideal for this type of application although it might work better with poly/epoxy if it is oily....

Honestly, I hadn't really gotten as far as a finish. I've been reading the "Ipe" thread with a lot of interest. I'll probably bug the crap out of you guys all the way through this project with my questions.

Keith

Bug away!

Speaking of bugs...screen inside the louvers to keep out the bee's nests??
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would think about venting the ends and bottom too...you can use as much air flow as possible. As for the Titebond III, I think I would go with another glue, the label says it's not recommended for constant moisture applications. I would check out some kind of marine glue or use the poly or epoxy.

I believe Titebond will Do

It is not for underwater exposure (boat-building) but I think everything short of that. I'd check with the manufacturer. Instead of louvered ends How about a slat bottom and then keep the top from coming down tight on the sides. Let it rest on blocks spaced along the top edges of the ends and sides. It is a neat idea. Now how are you going to get the kids to use it?
    18th century nut --- Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Eyman
    It is not for underwater exposure (boat-building) but I think everything short of that. I'd check with the manufacturer. Instead of louvered ends How about a slat bottom and then keep the top from coming down tight on the sides. Let it rest on blocks spaced along the top edges of the ends and sides. It is a neat idea. Now how are you going to get the kids to use it?

That's an easy one, Carl! I'll just threaten great bodily harm! Seriously, I shouldn't be too tough. They're a good bunch of rugrats.

I'm definitely planning on using slats in the bottom of the box. It will aid in draining.

Jim, that is a GREAT idea! That one will definitely be incorporated.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Keep it coming!!

Keith

To add to Jim's idea, I would use some kind of plastic screening or stainless steel. However, SS might get dented/dinged up easily although plastic could be easily punctured. My point? Attach the screen so it might be easily replaceable. Maybe put it into a frame and then secure the frame inside. Do you really think bees/wasps would be a problem? Depending on how you space the louvers, they might not be able to get in. Plus, this could always be added later.