Thread: HI - New to this forum - got a question 'bout lathes

HI - New to this forum - got a question 'bout lathes

Hi There - I'm new to this forum. I posted this question in another forum:
    As I have never used a lathe before, I figure I better ask this possibly really dumb question. I have the oppertunity to get a rather nice lathe vary cheap (a.k.a. FREE). The catch is this: it is a metal-working lathe. As I do not plan on using it for metlaworking, my question is this: Is a metalworking lathe at all suitable for woodworking? The machine can turn a part 16" dia. x 60"L and has several sets of jaws. Besides a toolrest, is there anything that would need to be changed? Should I bother with this at all? Do I need something different than the 3, 4, and 5 jaw chucks that the machine has? Can I take advantage of the traveling carbide cutters on the machine? What else should I take into consideration here?

No clue about this type of stuff.

Hi Matthew,

First of all, Welcome to the USS SMC! Great bunch but this will be a slow day and a long weeknd so you may not get too many answers too quickly.

Second of all, we prefer real names be used when you register here. We feel like a big family. Please send a PM to Jackie Outten and ask her to change your name (or expand your last name at least!).

Third, I am not a wood turner but I do have metal lathe experience. What a wonderful tool to have in the garage/shop! There are so many things you can do with a lathe that I can't imagine turning down a free one. Even if you don't end up using it, you could probably sell it. *Where* to you live??? hehehe

Hopefully someone will comment on the use of a metal lathe for wood turning. Certainly it can be done but it may not be an ideal setup.

Nice find, nice find.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Matthew, I used a metal lathe to turn several peices before I got a woodlathe that had the capabilites, i.e. lenght. It was great for turning long columns with the self-feed and toolrest.
    The only problem I had was the self-feed and other parts that we woodturners aren't in need of got in the way. I was always to far from the work.
    But price is everything!
    Fred

Actually, Fred, the price is nothing!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Matthew,

Welcome to the 'Creek! I found and joined earlier this year. Neat bunch of people who never hesitate to trade info and opinions. Lots of beginners and pros here. Jump in.....don't hesitate!

I'm not a turner so I wouldn't be much help. Others here are and will, I'm sure.

Again, Welcome!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Welcome Matthew,

Does the lathe have a cooling system built in? If it does you will be standing to far from the spindle for hand work. If it doesn’t and you have the room for it and it's not a 3 phase motor., get it. Most lathes you can still get close enough to work with. There are a number of items you can remove to gain access to the front of the lathe, which can be re- installed at a later date when you are ready to sell it. Good chance it is 3 phase since you say it has 16" over center and 60" length.

You might spend a little money, but it shouldn’t be too hard to make of have made a set of tool rests for one. It will defiantly have the speed and horse power to turn wood. You will need help to move it. Most likely a fork lift.

Good luck.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Matthew, I have a 14”X40” engine lathe that I have used to turn wood with. It does Ok on wood but because of the slower rpm’s, not as well as a wood lathe. My Logan tops out at 2000 rpm but because of its age & history, would not survive for long at that speed.
    But… a 16”X60” engine lathe for free seems like a no-brainer to me. If you don’t know how to run a lathe, take the time to learn how. They are not difficult & they can be invaluable tools.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

metal lathe

Man anything that is free is worth taking(well most of the time)! The least that could happen is you set it out at the curb for someone to pick up or you could sell it for a few bucks. But if it's got all the parts and works then you've got a good opportunity there. Go ahead and get it, you'll figure out soon enough what to do with it. As to turning wood, well Im not a machinist but I think they turn slow compared to wood lathes but I definitely would like to get one for free.

First things first, welcome to the Creek, Matt! Great place to hang out with answers for just about anything! And, if you don't get a "reply" on a problem, well then, just PM our main man, Dale T. He's our "go-to" guy for anything from simple calculus right on up to and including nuclear physics!

As for the lathe question, GET IT! I'm not a metals guy, but have wished I had something like a nice metal lathe for a number of projects or necessary "fixes". Also, I took a "beginer's bowl turning class" about a year and a half ago. At the time, a metal lathe is exactly what our instructor was using at home! He has since upgraded to one of the big Jet units, but still hangs on to that metal turner!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Smile thanks

Thank you everyone for the advice and for the warm welcome. As far as the lathe goes, it actually is single phase 230v and should plug in nicely to my shop. Moving it WILL be an issue as my shop is in my basement! Luckily there is a short staircase that is a straight shot into my garage - I'm sure I'll figure something out.
    Thanks again,
    Matt

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Welcome Matt.

I asked the same qustion some months back. here is a little mor info!
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8304
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Matthew,
    Glad you got some responses on this. My Father was a machinist by trade so I was spoiled up until 4 yrs ago, and you have no idea how many times since then I have stood in front of his lathe,milling machine & shaper and said "Now what". He taught me alot but I just figured he would be there for ever so why bother with machine work when I can be making sawdust & he making me what I needed , Like my lathe.
    But seriously, When you start down that "short staircase" HANG ON!!!
    Fred

P.S. I fixed my" Ram pump "on it on Sunday nite !!

Welcome!!!

Matthew,
    Welcome to the Creek!! Please feel free to dive in and enjoy the WARM water.

Contrary to the kind comments made by MR. Miliunas, I never have any GOOD answers to ANYTHING! I lie a lot and some folks believe me. Also, don't listen to Chris San Josey out in CA. Lots of folks have only one letter for a last name. He is probably too young to remember Mr. T.

Regarding your rather envious situation: If I wanted to fly, I would use a plane. If I wanted to tour the Pacific Islands, I would buy a boat. If I wanted to travel the good old USA, I'd buy either a car or a Harley.

I don't know how valuable YOUR time is but I'm retired and I don't have the time or the space to mess with some hermaphrodite piece of major shop equipment. My experience dates back to the apple consumed by Eve. On the other hand, I have never seen a metal lathe which I would want to see run at 3000-4000 RPM. The structure would be fine but I don't think that the bearings are designed for those speeds. The ways are awkward for moving the toolrest - anyway, I could go on and on. You have read the posts from the "smart" folks. This is just MY opinion.

Thank your friend for the offer. However, you will be able to buy a pretty decent wood lathe for the money and headaches involved in making the transition from a Gulfstream jet to an injected Red Ferrari!

GOOD LUCK AND, AGAIN, WELCOME TO THE CREEK!!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    On the other hand, I have never seen a metal lathe which I would want to see run at 3000-4000 RPM.
    Honestly, there is little or no reason to run a wood lathe at those high speeds. You might be able to get away with it on pens, but otherwise...naa!! Don't do that!

Metal lathes can be used for turning wood, but they are not best suited to it because of the need to retrofit things like tool rests and even accomodating centers and chucks on the headstock. They also often have a lot of nooks and crannies that will catch dust and chips; even more when properly lubricated. If it were me, I'd leave it as a metal lathe and keep it around for tool making and hardware manufacture for projects...but that's me. Matthew's needs and situation may be different.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You're RIGHT-as usual!!

Jim,
    The fact is, however, that you have more time than I do. Just like on the snowmobile or the slot car track, I have to "crank it up" a bit. One NEVER knows.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!