Thread: Questions About Jet 1220vs

Questions About Jet 1220vs

Recently, I sold a larger lathe and am in the process of downsizing.

I am considering the Jet 1220, but trying to decide between the base model and the variable speed model. Accordingly, I have the following questions.

1. Does the DC motor on the variable speed lose much torque at the 270 rpm setting? Does the motor begin to overheat at this low setting?

2. My other lathe had VFD and I was a little turned off by the complexity/cost of the black box controller (I know they are supposed to be super reliable). Is the motor/controller on the variable speed 1220 some proprietary design of Jet’s that will cost more than the lathe if it ever has to be serviced?

3. I assume that it is as quiet as a non-variable speed direct pulley driven lathe?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Philip Morris; 11-09-2008 at 8:10 AM.

Jet VS question!

I've had a 1220VS for over a month now, and think that it loses no torque at slower speed Though the way ro slow down a DC mot0or is to reduce the voltage. There does however seem to be a problem with the power switch. There was a post recently about this issue, and several 1220 owners reported problems with the switch. It is however a well constructed and designed lathe otherwise. very smooth operating. I think Jet will get the problem worked out shortly. GOOD LUCK!
    Bob