Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Questions About Jet 1220VS

More Questions About Jet 1220VS

I have called Jet Technical Service, but could not get definitive answers to the following questions, so I thought I would ask the experts.

Jet's literature indicates that the VS model has 3 speed ranges instead of the direct drive's 6. However, the parts diagrams in the online manuals on Jet's website indicate that the direct drive and VS share the same pulleys and belt (i.e., same part numbers).

1. Can someone confirm whether the VS has 3 speeds or 6 speeds?
    2. If 3 speeds, is the belt wider than what's used on the direct drive?
    Some of Jet's literature (i.e., Protalk brouchure on their website) lists the 1220 VS low speed at 200 rpm. However, all of the mail order websites list it at 270 rpm. The Tech Services guy was positive it is 200. Does anyone know for sure?

I can't comment on the low speed. I have the 1014 VS and I think the reference to 3 speed ranges is due to the VS. You can change the arrangement of the belt on the pulleys for the 3 options, but within each of these settings you can adjust the speed via a rotary knob control (thus the VS, variable speed). Non-VS lathes don't include the rotary control and are limited to the speeds defined by the pulley combinations.

I don't change the belt on mine very often, but I do take advantage of the easy change in speed via the rotary knob.

Hope this helps.

Philip,

I have the 1220VS and it has a 6-pulley configuration. On the placard on the vs box there are 6 speed ranges. Also on the plate, it says the lowest speed is 270. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Matt Wolboldt; 11-10-2008 at 11:40 AM.

3 speed-6 speed!

Matt nailed it. there are 6 pulley sizes in the headstock.. You might give some thought to the high failure rate of the power switches. (Posted a short time ago.)
    Bob

Thanks for the responses.

Robert,
    It seems like the power switch is an easy replacement from the hardware store.

I have not see any reports of motor or controller problems. Can you confirm?

This is purely from the lathe guy at Redmond in Atlanta. I was getting some prices on several different lathes and he volunteered that he didn't care for any of the Jet 12" models...

Whoaaa! Jerome, did he give any explanation why?

I could understand if likes to turn 20" bowls or hollow 20" off the rest. However, most people who turn within the lathe's capabilities have spoken very highly of it.

He didn't. I was calling about a General model and mentioned the Jet 16 incher with EVS. That's when he made the comment. I haven't touched the 12 incher, but if the stand is not as ruggedly massive as the 16 (which from the pictures on Amazon, it isn't) then the impression could have just been from seeing the two side by side and have nothing to do with the real merits.

His name and email address were on the page I googled (Model 25-200 M1)...

I have the 1220VS, the motor controller went out last weekend and the motor wants to run at a very high speed. I will call Jet tomorrow. Another person in our club has a nearly new machine (2wks) and had the switch go out on her already, my machine is just less than 3mos old.

I guess this is the reason I keep asking questions. I hate "black boxes". Just feel more comfortable with purely mechanical stuff, despite their limitations.

I really like the idea of the slow speed on the VS, and am leaning that way. Just want to make sure that I am not sacrificing reliability.

Just to add, I've had mine since August or so and I haven't had any problems yet.

I have a 1220 (not VS), it is a great little lathe. In my opinion, the minimum speed is appropiate for the swing of this lathe. The variable speed adds a lot of convenience (I have a large lathe with VS) but you can turn anything with the 1220 that you can turn with the 1220VS.

Philip,
    I think I finally figured out the 3 pulley vs 6 pulley seeming contradiction. I've linked the manuals for both versions in case my explannation isn't clear.

1220VS Lathe
    This lathe uses 3 pulleys and also uses electronics to get many more than just 3 speeds. Each one of the pulleys relates to a speed range, not just a single speed. This one has an infinite number of speeds within the range of 200-4300 rpms according to the manual. Maybe the first pulley gives speeds inthe range of 200-1200 rpms, pulley #2 gives 500-2000, and pulley #3 gives 1200-4300 rpms (all of these ranges are just guesses given that the manual doesn't spell it out that I noticed...). http://content.jettools.com/manuals/708376VS_man.pdf

Standard 1220 Lathe
    The 6 pulley machine has a total of 6 speeds (500, 840, 1240, 1800, 2630, 3975rpms...one for each pully) according to the manual. This machine is what they call the 1220 since it has speed changes via pulleys only. http://content.jettools.com/manuals/708376_man.pdf

Both lathes use part# JML1220-120 for the belt

I hope this helps explain things...
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 11-10-2008 at 8:36 PM.

Dick,
    Thanks for researching this for me. I also did some more looking and found that the VS has both 3 speed ranges and 6 speeds.

Basically, Jet does use the same pulleys and belts for both the direct drive and VS models. Someone preparing Jet's literature appears to have created their own "ranges". The "low" range is comprised of speeds 1 and 2, mid-range is speeds 3 and 4, high is speeds 5 and 6.

So as others have said the VS model has 6 speed ranges.

Glad they do a better job making lathes than explaining them.

Now if I could just reconcile why Figure 11 on page 13 of the 1220 VS manual (using the link in your note) seems to show only 3 speeds on the spindle pulley.

I called Jet about my speed control and they are shipping a new box and told me to keep the old one. that way if it goes out again, I can compare parts or swap out the switch. However, it sounded like he's shipping the box for the 1014 (different part number, but maybe only because of the lamp.)

As a techie, I have talked to many help desks and will have to say this was one of the most pleasant experiences.