Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need New Biscuit Joiner

Need New Biscuit Joiner

I need to replace my $99.00 Ryobi biscuit joiner. Is the PC 557 the best reasonably price unit or is it somethine else? I can't affor a Lamello.

Thanks

CPeter

CPeter
    That is the one I have and I like it. I used to have the Dewalt...also nice.
    Mark
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

My first one was a PC. It broke (can't remember what happened...it got dropped or something fell on it), and I replaced it with the DeWalt. I prefer the DeWalt.

KC

DeWalt

I have the DeWalt and it works fine, personally I believe that the PC is good too. Pick either one and I don't think you will go wrong.

I have the Dewalt as well. It has a good sturdy fence and is well balanced. I have used it a lot and would buy another without question.

Wes

Another vote for the Dewalt. Great tool.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

I have the PC. The versatility of the fence can't be beat. However, the DeWalt is a fine machine, too.
    Jim Stastny ~ Damascus, Maryland
    A poor workman blames his tools

I've got the PC, use it a bunch and like it.

Another vote for the Dewalt, but

the PC looks like a good unit too.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

PC is what I have...luv it! I don't have any personal experience with the DeWalt.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James
    I need to replace my $99.00 Ryobi biscuit joiner. Is the PC 557 the best reasonably price unit or is it somethine else? I can't affor a Lamello.

Thanks

CPeter
    I have the PC and the fence is great. It also is the only one that can use mini biscuits.

Blog Entries
    I have used the PC now for a number of years and love it. I'm sure that the Dewalt is just as nice a machine. The added benefit of face frame bisquits with the PC had a bit to do with my choice. The PC has almost always been in the $200 range, but just recently, and I'm not sure where now, but I saw it advertised for around $180, which is a nice discount.

Fred
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

My standard answer to "The" biscuit joiner question:

I bought the Freud JS102.

1. I (and your use may be different) use it 95% of the time for flat 90° slots. You don't need a fancy fence for those.

2. I have never found a need for FF biscuits and if I did I'm not sure I would want to futch around changing the blades back and forth. Besides, I can buy the little (used to be Ryobi) Craftsman and have a dedicated mini-biscuit joiner.

3. Some say that the DeWalt and the PC will do 135°, implying that the Freud won't. You don't use a biscuit in just one side of a miter joint, if I need to biscuit a mitered corner, I can place the two mitered pieces face to face, with both long ends in the center coming to a point. I then have a 90° reference angle with which to place a slot in each matching miter face.

4. I bought mine for $110 on sale ($125 regular). If I ever buy the Craftsman mini joiner, I will have spent less than the cost of the PC and just a tad more than the cost of the DeWalt (and have a dedicated mini joiner).

As exciting as it may seem, you don't need to buy a Ferrari to drive to and from work when a Ford will get you there and back.

George

I have the Dewalt i bought it at the used tool store for$75 with the case and all the other goodies looks like brand new i have used it for a while now with no problems. I havnt tried any of the others so i dont know what the diffrence is. Just my .02
    Bud Duffy Punkinhook Ranch

I have the Dewalt and have used it for 8 years or so. Other than the dust collection port likeing to plug it works great. A friend of mine has the PC and is very happy with it but IIRC there was a patent issue with the fence and there is some aftermarket shimming that needs to be done to get it to work like you would expect it to. Has anybody else heard of this?

Dean