Thread: Tormek T-7 Vs. Grizzly T10010 10" Wet Grinders

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tormek T-7 Vs. Grizzly T10010 10" Wet Grinders

Hi,

To anyone who either owns both or has used both of the above, I am in a dilemma. I will be doing a lot of hand carving in the future with small hand carving tools, some blades will be three inches long or less and no more than 1/16 inches wide - small gouges, v-gouges, knives, straight blades, etc. A lot of the work will be fine detail work. I will also be sharpening hand plane blades and knives and larger gouges, chisels for hand caving (not turning).

In your experience, is it worth the extra 450 bucks over the Grizzly price, for the Tormek system?

Will all of the Tormek jigs fit on the Grizzly?
    Last edited by Sean Rainaldi; 11-10-2008 at 12:52 PM.

Sean,

I have the grizzly sharpener, and several of the Tormek jigs. The Tormek jigs are 100% compatible with the Grizzly. So are the Jet jigs, but I would avoid them, they are not nearly as well designed. It is my understanding that Tormeks patent expired, so the Grizzly is basically a clone of the Tormek. I could not be happier with mine. Given all of that, carving knives should never go anywhere near a power sharpener. Once knives are sharp, frequent stropping will keep them sharp for a long time. Any tool you sharpen on a round wheel will have a hollow grind - bad for knives. As for carving gouges, skew, chisels and v-tools, they are very easy to shapen with the right jig. Once sharp, they too will stay sharp with religous stropping. I think it was fine woodworking that ran a test of the Tormek, Jet and Grizzly sharpening systems. Tormek was first, Grizzly second, and Jet last.

Great tool.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Heine View Post
    Sean,

Given all of that, carving knives should never go anywhere near a power sharpener. Once knives are sharp, frequent stropping will keep them sharp for a long time. Any tool you sharpen on a round wheel will have a hollow grind - bad for knives. As for carving gouges, skew, chisels and v-tools, they are very easy to shapen with the right jig. Once sharp, they too will stay sharp with religous stropping. I think it was fine woodworking that ran a test of the Tormek, Jet and Grizzly sharpening systems. Tormek was first, Grizzly second, and Jet last.

Great tool.

Dan
    Thanks so much Daniel,

So for my carving knives, what would you consider the best maker of jigs, system etc. for the hand sharpening of carving knives? I mean if I need to do some hand grinding on them after I reach a point where stropping will not put a good edge on any more, or if I break an edge?

Also, would stropping only on the strop wheel of the grizzly of my hand carving tools (not on the grinding wheel) be safe? Or should I hand strop as well?
    Last edited by Sean Rainaldi; 11-10-2008 at 1:42 PM.

Not one of the brands you asked about, but....

what about the Makita?
    I've used it for all my needs with no regrets.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I've got the Makita, and have used it mostly for free hand sharpening. The 1,000 grit stone is awesome for my kitchen steel! I thought it was going to be a God send for planer blades, but I bought the 13" Delta, and the blades are too narrow to clamp in the jig to resharpen (read: disposable). No worries, I bought the Makita for $100, slightly used.

I sharpen all my chisels and plane irons on waterstones. I know many carvers do the same. Have you looked at the Veritas electric sharpener? http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...35&cat=1,43072
    Many Creekers have it and are totally pleased with it. It might be good for your purposes, and it has a flat platter system, making gouge sharpening a snap.
    Maurice