Thread: Pinewood Derby Trophies

Pinewood Derby Trophies

I've been asked to make some type of Pinewood Derby trophy for a local Cubscout Pack to replace the "standard" trophy. Since they need 20 of them, they were hoping to keep the cost under $20 each.

So my question is.....does anyone have any ideas for a very inexpensive trophy. What do you think of fashioning a stand using a 2x4 painted blue & gold with Tom's LaserBuzz car on top?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

PDU has a resin of a pinewood derby car that all you have to do is engrave a plate for them.

Steve,

How about a flat-top? No... Not the hair cut kind....

Make them some flat top trophies of different heights with double stick tape at the top. Then the winner can affix his car to his trophy according to height.

The only problem is if they are going to give multiple catagory awards where as a kid might win twice... You'll need to know so you can offer them backup options....

Just thinking out of the box...
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

That's kinda what I was thinking to do with the Buzz car. And yes, the kid with the fastest car does usually win more than one trophy. Thanks anyway!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

When my son was a Cub Scout I engraved red alder picture frames with various information such as: 1st place, 2nd place, best of show, etc..etc.. (also included the pack #, and small car clipart) ,and this is where the WOW factor comes in.....Since we had the weigh in the night before, we took pictures of the scouts proudly holding their Pinewood Derby Car and had prints made up before Derby night, that way when it was time to present the award (laser engraved picture frame with appropriate class; 1st, 2nd, Best of Show etc.) we slipped in the picture of the Scout that won that award.

The parents and the Scouts loved receiving their awards due to the personalization of their own picture in the frame. Not just another trophy to sit on the shelf.

That's a good idea Joe! Thanks

Well, this isn't the trophy.....I ended telling them to go to a trophy shop for those!

But here is a trophy case that I came up with.....I suppose it could work as a trophy case for just about anything that could fit in it....anyway, I digress.....

The base is 2"x5"x11" and is made out of blue acrylic. The cover (yes, it comes off) is 4"x5"x11" and is made out of cast acrylic. I color filled the blue acrylic with gold rub n buff.

If I didn't use $40 worth of acrylic, it would make a great gift for every Cub Scout.

The cdr in v10 is attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Steve Clarkson; 01-24-2009 at 7:41 PM.

That turned out rather nicely Steve. Did you try to make the box without the toothed joins? With the weld on stuff and it only being small I think you could get away with it.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Thanks.....no I didn't try to make it without the toothed joints.....I wanted to make it strong considering that it will be handled by some seven year old boy somewhere.

Good point
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender