Thread: Knight planes

Knight planes

I want to start out with hand tool woodworking. All I make now are little blanket boxes so I only need a few tools (jointer, smoother, good saws and chisels) and I'm eyeing up knight for the planes. Are they pretty good? Do you get to choose the wood you want or is it whatevers in stock goes? Thanks

You'll get lots of help

Steve did nearly everything except visit my shop to help me decide on how I wanted my plane built. Ask him as many questions as you want. He is friendly, knowledgeable, and dedicated to your getting what you want.

I really, really like my Knight planes. Steve is always very friendly and helpful, so I would imagine that he would be more than willing to work with you.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

I own one of his coffin smoothers made from ipe, Steve does a great job on his planes and I like mine very much . But, if this will be your first plane, be aware that setting the blade in a woodie can be frustrating and time consuming. If you are looking for transparent shavings, it will take you awhile before you arrive so to speak. You may want to look at ECE Primus if your sure that you want that woodie, and want something a bit easier to adjust in a top quality plane.

Gene
    Last edited by Gene Collison; 06-01-2004 at 11:36 AM.

Just a thought

but you may want to consider another route (though I have a Knight plane and love it!!).

Buying older Stanleys and then resurrecting them can save you a lot of money but would serve as a learning process as well. TO get them cleaned, sharpened and then tuned up, you will have learned a great deal.

Depending where you live, you can still get the older planes. On the East Coast, check out flea markets, pddelers fairs, etc. Out on the West (Left??) coast, they are much harder (and more $$) to come by. I have had good luck on Ebay, but have read had good luck on Ebay.
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

Knight planes

Hi Aaron,

I love my Knight smoother. It has a padouk body, ipe sole and is bedded at 45 degrees. It is among the 2 finest, out-of-the-box, tools I own (the other is my STW dovetail saw). I have found setting the blade rather easy and this is my first wooden plane. Maybe I just have a knack for it. I am currently waiting on a Knight jointer. There will be a jack and high-angle smoother down the road but finances dictate a slow approach to accumulation.

As has been said by others, ask Steve any and all questions you want. He will help you get the plane that best suits you, the materials you like to use and the projects you will create. He is a top-notch guys to deal with.

Going down the resurrection of older metal planes does have its merits. You will learn a lot of good stuff. Personally, I wish I had gone down that path later in my handtool education. I prefer to get a tools and use it with a minimum of fuss. Knight planes are perfect for this.

Regards,
    Steve Kubien
    kubien2112@sympatico.ca

P.S. No, I'm not on Steve's payroll. I am just a VERY happy customer.

Exclamation Now is the time to pony up!

Now is the time to act. It is Knight Toolworks 5th anniversary and Steve has a special offer going. I copied this off the Old Tools Forum:

"I will have a anniversary set of planes. not sure what woods but I plan on a matching set of planes with some inlay. 30.00 Off planes of all sorts. You can now buy my planes through Amazon. I don't have them all up yet though. But you can pay with a credit card. Pay the full price and I will refund the 31.00 I can't do coupons."

I figuring the $30 off plus the $50 coupon from Amazon for spending too much money there this month will net me one of those anniversary planes for not much additional green! Sometimes life is good.

I have no affiliation with Steve, just am intoxicated with his planes.

Amazon won't give you the $50 discount on the Knight planes, will they? Also, aren't they cheaper on Ebay? His smoothers sell all the time for $105 Buy It Now, I believe.

Aaron
    Last edited by Aaron Heck; 06-08-2004 at 4:10 PM.

Angry Arghhh!

It always pays to read the fine print. Steve is an outside vendor so you are correct, Aaron, the $50 discount will not apply. Steve's own discount, however will. I wasn't thinking of the smoothers he offers on e-bay, I have a stable of those already with different bed angles. I am invisioning something a little more exotic.

I'll just have to work a little harder to get another Knight plane past my SWMBO! Let's see, Father's day is coming up soon, maybe I can leave some hints around, yah, that's the ticket!!!!!!!!!!!

Man.....I wish I were more patient. I don't know if I can wait the 4-6 weeks for mine to be made
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

11. I have a Steve Knight 45º coffin smoother in padouk w/ebony stripes. I am a dyed in the wool, bottom feeding, old tools guy so it pains me to say this plane can handle woods my fully fettled #4's and #4 1/2's cannot. To make matters worse, it came this way! The blade was fully honed and the plane was adjusted to take sub .001" shavings without even acclimating to my shop.