Thread: Delta 12 ½ planer problem

Delta 12 ½ planer problem

I've got a Delta 22-560 12½ portable planer that's seen pretty light use for the few years I've had it-I'm a very part time hobbyist. The last few times I've used it, its been getting harder to raise and lower the head, intermittently. When things seem to be getting harder, either way, I can back off and try again and the head usually will move more freely. Any ideas? Thanks,
    Tony

Tony,

I have the same planer but have not experienced the problem that you have. Two thoughts come to mind. Are the screw threads clean? If not, the sawdust could be binding the mechanism. Also, are all the bolts, etc. tight. This could tend to push the mechanism out of alignment.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Tony,

Have you tried waxing the 4 rails that it slides up & down on? I usually do it a couple times a year. Wax them with the head all the way down & then again with it up all the way. Moves a lot smoother.

Hope it helps,

Joe

Tony!! Don't be doing that!! I just picked up the Delta 12 1/2" (TP400LS) today. Got it for $215 out the door <--(imbedded, sneaky, hijack gloat ) Not even out of the box yet - and here you are making my heart skip a beat.

Don't forget to pass on what you did to fix it so I'll know for future reference.

Rick

Since you can backoff then proceed, it sounds like something is binding. I agree that a good cleaning and lubricating should help. Removing the side panels will give you easy access.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Sade
    I've got a Delta 22-560 12½ portable planer that's seen pretty light use for the few years I've had it-I'm a very part time hobbyist. The last few times I've used it, its been getting harder to raise and lower the head, intermittently. When things seem to be getting harder, either way, I can back off and try again and the head usually will move more freely. Any ideas? Thanks,
    Hi Tony:

I have the same planer and have had the same problem. One thing to try is to flip over the machine and take off the plastic chain guard that connects the two sides in lifting. Mine seems to collect sawdust frequently. Clean it out and you should be able to raise/lower much easier. Just my 2 cents.

Bruce Foley

I had one also. I took off both side panels and chain guard. Grease the chain since it's exposed, clean out the saw dust, clean and lubricate (dry lube here) the four posts and the threaded rod that moves everything. I did this twice in the five or six years I used it.

Rick, don't worry, you got a very good planner. These issues are just normal maintenance.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Thanks, guys!

I took the planer apart, blew out the sawdust, cleaned and lubed everything and it works like a charm. Sure appreciate the help. Cheers,
    Tony