Thread: Homemade lathe chisel sharpening Jig (pics)

Talking Homemade lathe chisel sharpening Jig (pics)

Hello everyone I seen a wolverine sharpening jig system at woodcraft for 171.97 + tax a little more $ than I wanted to spend on it. After looking at it I figured that I could make one similar to theres.
    I already had most of the materials at home that I picked up on job sites (angle iron, knobs, flat iron,) and I purchased some thin steel tubing 1"x10" and 3/4"x30" to make the slide. also the locknut's and bolts totaling about $4.00 for all material to make it.
    I used my Lincoln 125 sp mig welder, drill press, hand drill, 4 1/2 angle grinder, file, Port-ban saw to make it
    The slide with the chisel rests was the simple part. I drilled two holes and welded two 3/8" nuts on each hole for the knobs to hold the slide at the correct distance for grinding. And on the chisel holder I cut one piece of angle iron for the rest and then cut three smaller ones to fit inside for the chisels to rest on. One is in the center and the other two are 4" off center for sharpening skews.
    The side/fingernail Jig was the hardest part it was made from 1/4" flat iron. I cut the angle adjustment by drilling several holes and then filed out the rest.
    I drilled two 5/8" holes for the chisel to fit in and welded a adjustment wing nut on the top and a round flat piece to rest against the chisel on the bottom.
    I drilled two holes on the pivot stick the one on top is a bolt and a locknut and the one on the bottom is a carriage bolt with a wing nut for easy adjustment and I ground the end to a point.
    I made it in about hrs
    And it has taken about the same amount of time to write this post!!(slow typer)and(my spelling sucks)!!
    Thanks for looking
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Ketron; 03-14-2006 at 8:01 PM.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    FANTASTIC JOB -- EVEN BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Jim, that's great setup! Awesome job on all the metalwork! I've got a small 110VAC wire-feed, but I hate to think what mine woulda' looked like, had I tried something like that!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Sharpening Jig

Very nice work!

So for somone with no welding skill or equipment, is the $175 a good investment?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by WC Wilson
    Very nice work!

So for somone with no welding skill or equipment, is the $175 a good investment?
    Yes WC I think it would be Im a new at the lathe and I do an ok job at grinding by hand but its easy to put it on a jig and get a good edge on a chisel and those fingernail grinds are hard to get a good edge by hand!(for Me)
    The reason I made the jig
    1 I like a good challenge
    2 I like to work with wood and metal
    3 I have most tools to make it (although some I dont have would make it easier)
    4 I have already spent too much $ on my lathe, scroll chuck, chisels, ex
    5 The need to sharpen them often
    6 Consistency
    7 Price
    Thanks for your reply WC
    also Ken and John
    Jim

Nice setup, but there may be a problem using it for side grinds on bowl gouges.

Very nicely done Jim. It looks like a combo of a couple different jigs that were shown on the WW @ Home DVD I just got.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Yakonick
    Nice setup, but there may be a problem using it for side grinds on bowl gouges.
    It works great
    what would be the problem?
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ketron
    It works great what would be the problem?
    I think what Anthony is getting at is potentially, the width of the "triple threat" rear support could interfere with the tool handle when you are at or near the extreme sides of the gouge. This is one of the reasons that the skew option for the OneWay is removable. That said, if your gouges are not getting caught than there is no problem!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I think what Anthony is getting at is potentially, the width of the "triple threat" rear support could interfere with the tool handle when you are at or near the extreme sides of the gouge. This is one of the reasons that the skew option for the OneWay is removable. That said, if your gouges are not getting caught than there is no problem!
    Jim I took this in consideration when I made it. I raised the grinder up with plywood and made the stick on the pivot longer But if I make another one I will make the skew part removeable for less bulk. But it works great on my bowl gouges.
    Jim

You're probably fine with your verison of the VariGrind, but might have problems with the Ellsworth fixed jig and a long handle. This is purely speculation, however...you're the one in front of the grinder! Great job of the jig...it's nice to have welding equipment and the skill to use it. Making tooling and accessories is a nice capablity to have. I'm envious.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Sorry, I got interrupted when making my post and didn't mean for it to be posted as it was not complete. I went and checked on my jig and found on a side grind bowl gouge my handle would hit on your jig but it seems to be ok for you. Also , I don't like to post "negitive" comments but I saw a potential problem and added my $.02. Once again nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Yakonick
    Sorry, I got interrupted when making my post and didn't mean for it to be posted as it was not complete. I went and checked on my jig and found on a side grind bowl gouge my handle would hit on your jig but it seems to be ok for you. Also , I don't like to post "negitive" comments but I saw a potential problem and added my $.02. Once again nice work.
    No hard feelings Anthony thats what the forum is for to help each other out.
    Thanks for the post!
    Jim