Thread: any better way to make spline material?

any better way to make spline material?

I make picture frames and jewelry boxes and sometimes put splines, also called slip-feathers. across the miters for strength and accent.

I cut the kerf for the spline with my TS and just run the frame or box through at 45 degrees.

I have created a raised bed out of melamine in my planer and plane down hardwood splines to the thickness of the TS blade kerf. When I was doing this tonight I was getting some chattering and tear out as the material got very thin.

Is there a better way to do this ?

p.s. I do have a drum sander now, but haven't tried this there, didn't want to risk getting the sanding head too close to the conveyor belt

I have only cut them once but I just use the table saw to cut a strip that was just over an 1/8 thick and the just use the ROS to fit it. Just had to sand a very little bit to get a tight fit.

I guess I don't understand why you would use a planner for that.

and if they're just a hair thick

I've put splines in my wood vise before and squashed 'em down to fit the kerfs. They puff up again when the water from the glue hits (assuming you're using a water based glue here...), making them fit tightly. You obviously want to do this only when they're a hair thick - at some point, in a thin frame, too much thickness would crack the wood as the spline expanded.

Make a carrier for the drum sander. you can sand down to 1/64 if you need to. have to use double sided tape when yo get that thin. I use a sled made from 1/4 maisonite. and then glued a strip at the end to keep the material from sliding off. works for me.
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

In reality, a "hair" loose would be better than too thick, when using open splines. But I suggest since you have a drum sander, to make an auxillary board of plywood or particleboard to hold your splines for sanding. The extra 3/4" thickness will belay your fears. A simple stop tacked on at front and back and sides too, will keep the spline material in place for a pass thru your sander. Several pieces could be loaded side by side of a given length and all sanded at the same time.

I LOVE jigs!! They are almost as much fun as a finished project!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

If you get or have access to the current Woodsmith Magazine issue, there is a tip in the first few pages for a spline shaving jig that works with a block plane. It seemed like a good idea to me.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

I rip them slightly oversized on the band saw and then sand them to exact thickness on the drum sander. I juts run the long strips through on their own and have no problems at 1/8th".

Jim

I use the jig and the Drum Sander for what ever thickness I need. No problems. Dick B.
    Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC -->
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php