Thread: Cloudy Deft lacquer

Cloudy Deft lacquer

I have been spraying a few coats (3) of Deft lacquer on a large frame each day for the past 3 days.I have let it dry for several hours between coats. Everyting was fine until today when I sprayed a coat it has not cleared up and has a few cloudy/milky spots in 2 or 3 places. Haven't had this happen before. Is it probably humidity and will it clear up if left alons for a few days? Could it be too thick of a coat? It did not run or puddle at all.

Jim

It's called blushing and is caused by moisture trapped under the finish. the best way to get rid of it is to spray a light coat of lacquer thinner. It will soften the lacquer and allow the moisture to escape. I bet it was raining or high humidity when you sprayed. You might find aerosol blush remover or lacquer retarder in a good paint store.
    You might also try giving it a good sanding with 320 and see if that works instead.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Steve,
    I'm sure you are right, it was raining. The hygrometer said it was 60% in the shop, but that was obviously too high. I turned up some more heat today and tried to let it clear on its own, but it has not happened as of this evening.
    Is the aerosol blush remover pretty fol proof? Not having used it before I don't want to ruin this frame. It is "just a frame", but it is a curly maple veneered frame that was dyed and then several coats of lacquer (probably 7 coats before the blushing). I have enough time invested in this that I don't want to ruin it at this point if at all possible.
    What is my safest approach?

Thanks for the help,
    Jim

the blush remover is pretty foolproof unless you spray it on so heavy it is running. Just mist it on a few times. the object is to just soften the finish so the moisture can escape not soften it so much it runs the finish.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Just wanted to say THANKS Steve, I picked up an aerosol can of Mohawk blush retarder today and sprayed a light coat over the entire frame. It cleared up within a few minutes. Thanks for the help,

Jim