Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello and HELP!

Cabinet remodel

Richard, Welcome to the Creek and welcome to Woodworking. While a cabinet remodel is an ambitious first project it is possible. Along with all the other good advice I would reccomend that you read up on Safety all you can. Be safe, enjoy And learn. Happy woodworking, Craig

Welcome to the Creek, Richard!! I know the feeling of the kitchen remodel. I completely tore the kitchen down to the studs on our first house, thinking it would be a 3 to 4 week job (working evenings and Sundays!!), I started July 4, 1982. We got the counter top on the day before Thanksgiving!! With company coming!!!! Still no doors.
    I built some very basic flat panel doors, and hated what they looked like. Part was the tools I had, but mostly it was lack of skill. We went for about 4 or 5 years without cabinet doors. I guess it was that country look some people pay for. I finally found a door style we liked, that I felt I had the skills to build. I still messed up in the execution. Something that information from this forum would have prevented for me had it been available. But the doors looked good, and LOML was happy with them.
    My suggestion: since you probably need some shop cabinets, use them to learn what you need to learn, and to develop the skills you need. Drawer fronts are pretty easy, especially if you build slab front drawer faces. You can probably use the drawer boxes that are there now and just replace the fronts. Doors are tricky, and require the right clamps, a good flat surface for assembly, and the skill that only comes with making lots of fire wood, you know, the kind that is jointed and sanded. But the journey of building things is what is fun and challenging to me. Somehow, I think it will be for you as well! Good luck, and keep us informed on your progress. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Hello,
    The 618 is on the light side for swinging a large bit (3+") like the Infinity kit has.
    You really want something 3hp or more for that.
    Yes, I had a conversation with one of the people at Infinity along the same lines. They recommended multiple passes with the 618, which seems to be the common advice. But I think I will be taking the 618 out and replacing it with the Dewalt 625 - or similar Porter Cable unit.

This morning I have been sitting watching online videos, reading many a web page and feeling overwhelmed with the amount of information I am trying to take it. The last time I felt like this was when I started in IT! What fun! Just like being 16 again (except I did not have grey hair back then).
    Richard - An Englishman in Texas
    -------------------------------
    www.Clafton.com - My Photography / www.PugHearts.com - My Need to Help

One of my first books was "The Complete Table Saw Book."

It is published by Landauer Corp. and has many great beginner/intermediate woodworking projects with terrific photo illustrations.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Clafton View Post
    Thank you one and all for the responses. Amazing. I have been lurking on here for some time, but only joined very recently. I am glad I made the jump.

Reading up on the basics is indeed my next step then. Is there a book that could be recommended? Perhaps some sort of modern woodworkers bible?

Remodelling of the kitchen basically involves tiling and electrics - something I have done quite a lot of - but we want to change some of the single doors to double doors - which is why I picked the making of the new doors and perhaps some new drawer fronts as my first project. I am sure I will become frustrated and have a nice pile of junk wood by the end of it - but I am determined to at least try.

I'll be back to ask more questions.

Regards

Richard