Thread: Hardwood toy chest wall thickness?

Hardwood toy chest wall thickness?

I am starting work on a cherry toy chest for my little one. Approximately 36" x 18" x 20". What wall thickness is appropriate? 1/2"? 3/4"?

Thanks in advance.

What material will you be using for the carcass? Solid wood or veneer plywood? For the former, I'd likely go with nominal 3/4" for the panel glue-ups. For the latter, 1/2" is sufficient in strength. A lot of the heavy tack trunks at the stable we ride at are constructed of 1/2" ply and they are very strong!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Micah,

I made a toy chest of about the same dimensions using solid 1/2" stock (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...44928#poststop). I used the thin stock to keep the chest light. In retrospect it was probably a mistake. The thin stock presents all kinds of challenges, not the least of which is a tendency to move after resawing. It all came out great in the end, but it took a lot of head scratching. I now have a second kid and so a second toy chest has been ordered. I'll probably use 5/8 or 3/4" stock.

David

Unless weight is an issue go 3/4", think hardware mounting, hinge - lid stay. I recently built some small keeping boxes using 1/2" materials, it was challenging to find some economical chest locks to fit in 1/2" material. Lesson learned buy the hardware first!

Tony Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by david kramer View Post
    Micah,

I made a toy chest of about the same dimensions using solid 1/2" stock (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...44928#poststop)
    David
    Aw yes I remember that toybox thread. You had made a grave error I remember. You posted a pic of an adorable little girl who made the nice woodwork second billing!

I am near making a toybox for my granddaughter. I think I am leaning towards 5/8" thickness...
    One good turn deserves another