Thread: Pulse Width/Rate questions - Spreadsheet?

Pulse Width/Rate questions - Spreadsheet?

Hi All,

I am trying to make sense of the Pulse Width and Pulse Rate settings. Mike MacKenzie was nice enough to send me a manual but it does not explain stuff, just quotes numbers using a 3D-graph.

Can someone point me at some literature where I can read about this stuff?

Or better yet has anyone put together a spreadsheet that will define the combinations that fall within the acceptable areas of the attached graph?

Failing that if I can get some actual figures for each of the settings, I can put together a spreadsheet in case others are interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

2. If you get some explanations or a spreadsheet, please share.

There are so many different setting combinations for different materials I'm not sure where to begin.
    Garrick Crocker
    Gainesville, Florida
    Accuris Powersharp 16, Corel X3

Quote Originally Posted by Garrick Crocker View Post
    If you get some explanations or a spreadsheet, please share.
    Hi Garrick,

I will most definitely share. If you have some settings you regularly use, please email them to me and I will put together either a spreadsheet or will write a small database program for free use.

That also applies to anyone else that has settings they use. I may even put a page on my new website.
    Dave J

Dave,

This really has to make me think It has been a long time since we used this method.

The short answer is Pulse Width = How long the pulse stays on or in todays terms (power)

Pulse Rate is how fast the pulse turns on and off or in todays world (PPI)

Speed is motion system. They all work together to get the desired results.

I do not know if you copied this page from the manual it refers to a different system however these system worked the same way and there are some suggested settings for different materials that should work on your system.

The file is to big to post here so you can go here to get it http://www.cemlasers.com/pg--19--Software-Setup.aspx

Download the 1750/meistergram file.

Hope this helps
    Mike Mackenzie
    Sales and Service of Universal Laser Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mackenzie View Post
    This really has to make me think It has been a long time since we used this method.
    Sorry for that Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mackenzie View Post
    I do not know if you copied this page from the manual it refers to a different system however these system worked the same way
    I photographed it out of the manual you kindly sent me. I understand the basics of the Width, Rate etc. I also understand the principals and electronics behind the Width, Rate etc. What I wanted to try and understand was why certain combinations did not work.

That graph I attached has a big white area where the the 3 variables are out of bounds for each other. I (the Engineer ) wanted to understand the theory and principle of controlling of the beam. I want to understand why and what the relationships are. Boring, I know.

The plan being to write a spreadsheet I can use to quickly define what settings I might need as a starting point for a new (to me) material.

Thanks for the link I will check it out right now. OK, just looked and those two pages are also included in that manual you sent me, but thanks.
    Dave J