Thread: Hooking up a VFD

Hooking up a VFD

I just got done putting together my new/old Oliver 192 bandsaw. Now I've got to get 3 phase power to it.

I bought a 2 hp. TECO FM50 VFD. I'd like to hook-up my 220 line to it, attach it to a wall, and attach a plug to it. I'd like to be able to plug the bandsaw into the plug and run the bandsaw with it's own switch. Some of the reading I've done would suggest I can't do that. Does anybody know about this. If I can't do that, what is the best way to get this puppy up and running.

Thanks, John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

I use VFD's in my job from time to time and normally we switch the power to the input. Depending on how the thing is programmed it may or may not start up automatically. VFD's are very programmable these days. Putting a switch on the output? Not sure it would like that.

John,

Nice job on the restore!

While the VFD is providing power to the saw you can not disconnect or shut off the current between the VFD and the motor while the VFD is still feeding power out.

The best way to go about your particular setup is to wire the BS motor directly to the VFD output. The BS can then be turned on/off using the keypad on the VFD or a remote on/off wired into the VFD.

I'd use the original BS switch as a remote back to the VFD like I did my WT DP.
    WT900-02.jpg

Note the ON/OFF switch on the gray box. That turns the single phase power to the VFD ON/OFF. The 3ph motor is then directly wired to the output side of the VFD.

The original on/off switch on the DP (black toggle switch on the head) is now wired as a "remote" to the VFD and signals the VFD to provide power to the motor or shut off the power. In essence it works just like it originally did, turning the DP on and off.

Mike

John, I just finished installing a Teco FM50 3HP VFD on a jointer. After tons of time wading through the manual and some help from another forum, I finally have a handle one it.

1) Wire the VFD to the wall like you would any other machine. I have 12ga wire with a 20a, 250V plug and socket.
    2) Wire the 3ph motor directly to the output of the VFD. The VFD controls the motor.
    3) What kind of switch do you want to use? You can use the front panel of the VFD, or you can use remote switches. My jointer had nice switches from the original magnetic starter and I wanted to use them. Getting it wired and programmed to use them took me a while.

Can you answer #3? Here are a couple pics.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    3) What kind of switch do you want to use? You can use the front panel of the VFD, or you can use remote switches. My jointer had nice switches from the original magnetic starter and I wanted to use them. Getting it wired and programmed to use them took me a while.
    Joe, since this is an 18 inch (or so) Oliver bandsaw, it is a pretty good bet that it came with a magnetic starter with low voltage controls like your jointer. He will need to do the same thing as you just did.

Your settings were (with my comments):
    F1 = 0.1 (you could go 0.1 to 0.5)
    F2 = 0.5 (Don't Need)
    F3 = 0
    F6 = 60
    F10 =1 for remote operation
    (F14 = 1 for coast to stop)
    F21 = 2 (F21 = 1)
    F22 = 1 for reverse lockout

The diagram below shows how to connect the switches. The upper switch is your ON button, and is a normally open switch. The lower switch is your OFF button and is normally closed.

As Joe pointed out to me earlier, if you set F22 =1, then you do not need to connect the red wire to terminal #4 (REV).