Thread: Anyone Used Lee Valley's Low Angle Spokeshave?

Anyone Used Lee Valley's Low Angle Spokeshave?

I'm thinking of buying a spokeshave. I would use it to shape the back of guitar necks. Spokeshaves are supposed to be particularly good for this.

I've been thinking of the Lee Valley Low Angle spokeshave. Has anyone used it? In terms of what it does and how well it does it, what would the differences be with the more common LV spokeshaves? I know the cutting angle is a little lower.

Here's a link to the page at Lee Valley's website.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...t=1,50230&ap=1

Thanks in advance.

Perry, I just purchased one off the bay based on various positive comments on the creek. Haven't received mine yet, but Mark Singer, who I think does great work, feels this one to be the pick of the litter. See this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14083

Perry,
    I bought one several years ago for cabriole legs. Works great!
    Be aware, that like all spokeshave blades, it is a bugger to hold while sharpening.
    I bought the LV blade holder, but find it simpler to just hold it in my hands and accept the abrasion on my fingertips (grin).
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

John, thanks for the response and the link. I missed that one when I did a search. Please add any comments about the low angle spokeshave when you have the chance.

Mike, I appreciate your response. Are there any tips you could give about using it? I usually use rasps, knives, and cabinet scrapers (and, of course, sandpaper) when shaping necks. Thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Perry,
    ...and accept the abrasion on my fingertips (grin).
    Mike
    Good preparation for weekend jobs that may involve a need for "lack of evidence!" Becky could use the extra income for more sewing/quilting "tools."

I use a Veritas honing jig on my other blades, but wondered how I was going to hone this blade. Gave some thought to using a thin piece of wooden stock as an "extender" to which I could affix the blade so I can use my jig. Need to wait until I can see if it will work.

Low Angle Shave

I too bought the spokeshave for cabriole leg work but so far I'm struggling. The blade keeps coming out and falling on the floor. I am going to try and sharpen the blade and see if that helps.

David Turner
    Last edited by David Turner; 11-19-2008 at 7:44 AM. Reason: Spelling

I generally freehand honing of the low angle blades. Here's a picture of the blade from the LV LA kit shave I built some time back.

I use the guide if more work is needed beyond an easy honing.

Take care, Mike
    ...still in Berea...

Mike, that looks like the answer. Didn't realize that LV had that small blade holder accessory. Gotta get one of those!

I have several spokeshaves (though not the LV low angle) yet still do most of my neck shaping with chisels, rasps (from an Auriou #3 on up) and scrapers.
    Of course, most of my necks are shorter (mandolins)
    Steve

10. Perry,

I used to have one and it worked ok but I found the depth of cut difficult to adjust just right. The moving toe piece is used to adjust the depth of cut unlike a traditional shave in which the blade is adjusted up or down.

FWIW, wooden shaves are very easy to make. You can get enough steel for $20 to make 4 or 5 of them and use cutoffs in almost any hardwood species you like. You only need a piece about 7/8" thick by about 11" long by about 1¼-1½" wide. Hardware is available at any big box store. Lee Valley also sells a wooden spokeshave kit that has gotten good feedback (no experience myself).

If you want to buy one already made, I'd suggest one of the modern wooden ones from someplace like Dave's Shaves or Woodjoy. The prices are comparable with the Lee Valley low angle shave. I think they would be easier to adjust and nicer to use. One of the nice things about a wooden shave is the ability to adjust one side for a coarser shaving and one side for a fine shaving. Then you can change the cut simply by shifting the shave from one side to the other.

FWIW the high angle spokeshaves are more like short soled planes with similar bedding angles and cutting geometries. They do ok on long grain but the low angle shaves blow them away on end grain . I have a #51 Stanley and after building and using my low angle wooden shave, the #51 just collects dust.
    Last edited by Robert Rozaieski; 11-18-2008 at 8:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Turner View Post
    I too bought the spokeshave for cabrolet leg work but so far I'm struggling. The blade keeps coming out and falling on the floor. I am going to try and sharpen the blade and see if that helps.

David Turner

Glad you said that David I have the same problem, it has worked for me on occasion but often as not the balde keeps falling out. I am sure it is me, because the time I got it to work ir was very good. Mostly now I just use an old Stanley when needed.

If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

I bought one based on the good reviews, but I haven't been that impressed. Kind of difficult (and requires a screwdriver) to adjust, feels a little awkward to hold and use, and a pain to sharpen.

I REALLY like the Boggs spokeshaves I have.
    Last edited by Don C Peterson; 11-18-2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Thank you to all who responded to my question. I must admit that I was concerned about how well the blade was anchored with the Lee Valley. That several members who responded had trouble with this is a concern because I might have difficulties with it too.

Robert, thank you for the links. I've taken a look at them. I certainly will consider them.

By the way, I would be using the spokeshave mostly on hard maple. That's what I usually make my guitar necks out of. I don't know if this would be a factor in deciding which spokeshave would be best.