Thread: Vise face questions

Vise face questions

I am building Chris Schwarz 24-hour Workbench. I bought two vises for it -- one for the face and another to use on the end. I want to make the one on the end fairly large to simulate a twin screw.

I have looked and looked, but have not found a good guide for how to make the wooden faces. Can you give me any pointers before I install the vises?

The two vises were Economy Vises from Woodcraft. The large one for the end is a quick release.

Thanks!

Ray -

I would do two things. First, I would ask Woodcraft if they have any drawings. Woodcraft may have information in their store or from customer service. They have the following information on their website:

http://www2.woodcraft.com/pdf/77A42.pdf

Second, I would review one or more of the several workbench books that are available. I have The Workbench Book by Scott Landis; Christopher Schwarz' book on the same subject is also very good; Lon Schleining also wrote a well received book. One or more should be at your library, or can be purchased in any bookstore or online book emporium.

Remember, if the first one you make doesn't come out right, you don't have to tell anyone. You can make a test piece with some nasty construction lumber and learn from your mistake(s) before you use the good material.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Tom Hargrove; 11-19-2008 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Remove typo.

Here's a pretty good set of instructions:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...=Custom&ID=135

The problem with making chops significantly wider than the jaws is that the asymmetrical pressure causes the vise to bend. The further from the center, the worse it is. With the screw acting straight on to the object, the vise has a lot of force. If the object is to one side of the vise, part of that force goes into bending the rails which hold the vise as it slides in and out. This is especially a problem on vises which have more play in their mechanisms. I don't know the vises you are referring to, but generally higher cost means more precise fitting.

There are ways around the problem, such as putting a spacer on the other side of the vise, but they are compromises. Generally, I think you are better off keeping the vise's chop smaller and using something else to support the rest of the work piece.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

My friend Pat built a bench from that same book and bought what I think is the same vise you have. He did notice some racking. Read this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ighlight=diary
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Thanks

That is very helpful, thanks.

After hours of searching, I also found this:
    http://www.woodworkingseminars.com/w...ench-vises.pdf

I am kind of near you guys ... I am just north of Franktown (Southern Parker -- near Castle Rock).