Thread: Making ADA Signs

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Making ADA Signs

I've started this thread so we can all discuss the different options and techniques commonly used to fabricate ADA signs. There are so many materials available and so many different options it can be difficult deciding which to use for any given project. I understand that often a customer has existing signs and they want new signs made to match, in these cases you really have no choice but to use the existing design and materials.

I make every effort to convince a customer to allow me to convert their signs in a building to the style I build rather than making a few new signs to match their existing design. The Corian signs I normally offer are radically different than any other style and I have found that it hasn't been difficult to market a complete new set of Corian signs in most cases.

My current marketing strategy is not just to make a sample sign but to design and fabricate an actual ADA door sign that includes the customers logo and color scheme. I mail the signs to their Architects Office or Purchasing Office with a letter describing the benefits of my design over my competition. I make sure and engrave my company information on the back of the sign, that way my contact information is never separated from the sign itself. If the potential customer doesn't need signs right now they most likely will in the future.

So everyone may benefit from this discussion please feel free to post your pictures, files or whatever you have concerning this topic. Discuss your designs and techniques plus the materials you use. Questions are certainly welcome, we will all learn something as this thread continues to grow.

I have attached three files, the first is a Corel Draw X3 drawing that has icons for Men, Women and a wheelchair graphic. Nothing special about these icons just thought that they might help someone who is just getting started. The two pictures are typical of the type of signs I make for CNU.

This is the link to the company I purchase braille balls from, they offer several colors and ship in small bottles that contain 11,000 balls.
    http://www.brailleballs.com/order.asp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-23-2008 at 7:48 AM.