Thread: Just picked up three saws

Just picked up three saws

Just picked up three saws, at least two of them are Atkins -- not at a bargain basement price, but reasonable enough that I'm happy, even though two of them are probably rather unremarkable. (I have a fondness for Atkins saws because they were made in Indianapolis, where I live.) One is a "Five Hundred" model with a stainless steel blade. According to the etching, it was made when Atkins was a division of Borg Warner, the namesake of the trophy given to the winner of the Indianapolis 500, which I assume explains the name. The other relatively ordinary saw is a No. 401.

The third saw is the real reason I bought them. . . an old floor saw . . . maybe an Atkins or maybe a Warranted Superior -- I'm not sure yet. It has a Warranted Superior medallion, but the handle looks like an Atkins. As I understand it, Atkins came up with its flooring saw design, then Disston and others followed suit. Although I think this design was a clever solution to the problem of cutting through an existing floor, I can't think of a single thing I'd ever use it for. I'll probably clean this one up and hang it on the wall just because it looks so cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michael Ray Smith; 12-18-2011 at 5:48 PM.
    Michael Ray Smith

I too have a few tools I've picked up just because they look cool. Gizmocity rules!

Jim B

Depending on the condition, the 401 is probably the nicest of the lot--and very collectible. Most of the stair/floor saws I see are Bishops, but Atkins and Disston made them too.

The 401 is a top-of-the-line saw. It should be well worth restoring.

Restore? Done. Took me about 30 minutes to remove some rust spots and give it a coat of wax. Not the first time I've bought a bunch of tools to get one and found out that another was the best part of the buy.

2011-12-19_21-17-57_783.jpg2011-12-19_21-18-20_228.jpg
    Michael Ray Smith

I have to say it. "You suck!"

Well, it's about time I got lucky on one of these purchases. Lost my shirt too many times. But, yeah, I suck.
    Michael Ray Smith