Thread: Need suggestions for moisture meter and metal detector

Need suggestions for moisture meter and metal detector

I've got that pile of chestnut drying out in the basement and i'll need a meter and something to find all the hidden nails before i start machining it.

What do I look for?

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I reclaimed an old barn's pine timbers,and felt a metal detector wasn,t necessary until I hit a cut nail with my worm drive saw. The nail literally exploded in my face. All of a sudden $100.00 wasn't that big of a deal. I got a catalogue of security supplies that a police friend had and ordered a Garrett Super Scanner Metal Detector. It is a paddle type with 10" sensor surface. It is the same type used frequently in airport security checks. It is very sensitive and I haven't hit any metal since. I've even found several old lead bullets. I got this before any types were marketed to woodworkers so I can't make a comparison, but spending a few extra $$ for a good reliable sensor is cheaper than a prosthetic eye and damaged machinery. The Co. info:
    Garrett SurerScanner Mod.#1165170
    Garrett Co.
    Security Div.
    1881 W. State St. Garland Tx
    972-949-6151
    I used it for the 8"x8" and 10"x10" timbers and didn"t miss any metal, or I should say I didn"t hit any metal. Goog Luck.

Exclamation

This is the moisture meter that I have:

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-b...Reqd=&persLink=

I don't have a metal detector yet.
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!