Thread: Self raising cover

Self raising cover

Hi I know this is off topic for wood working but I know there are a lot of smart people with divisified back grounds.

I have a hot tub, the cover is relatively heavy. I want to design a lift system for the cover. I would like to have it controlled by a small compressor. I would like to be able to press a switch on the side and raise the cover about 4 ft then press the switch again to lower it back in place. I also want to do it cheap. Can someone tell me how to do this?
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

Rather than motors and switches and electricity and stuff, could you use gas struts to help raise the lid? Gas struts are those cylindrical things used to help raise the tailgates or hoods in cars. You can get them from many sources. For instance, McMaster-Carr has a pretty wide selection, and good design info. www.mcmaster.com
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 11-24-2008 at 12:38 AM.

I do not see how I can make the struts work for what I want. I am going to make a new 1 piece cover for the tub. I really want it to raise straight up verses folding back.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

4. Many years (20?) ago I built a solid redwood cover for my 6' round jarra hot tub. It didn't go straight up, but the cover had an offset hinge (?) i.e. it was hinged two feet from the edge of the tub so that when open, the tub was completely unimpeded. The bottom of the tub was also six feet off the ground, so I was able to run a pulley system with counterweights (I think I used cinder blocks :-) ) and it was very easy to lift.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't use an electric winch, but I don't know anyone who'd want to sit in a hot tub with a solid wood cover hovering above four feet above their heads. Would you consider a side hinge like I had? I'll have to try to dig up some pictures if you're interested.

Howie

Quote Originally Posted by James Stokes View Post
    Hi I know this is off topic for wood working but I know there are a lot of smart people with divisified back grounds.

I have a hot tub, the cover is relatively heavy. I want to design a lift system for the cover. I would like to have it controlled by a small compressor. I would like to be able to press a switch on the side and raise the cover about 4 ft then press the switch again to lower it back in place. I also want to do it cheap. Can someone tell me how to do this?
    I know you said cheap, but they already make these for hot tubs.

http://www.spasandmore.com/index.php?action=item&id=579

This is one I found by doing a google search. For what you would spend in time and materials I doubt you could make one cheaper.

I have found those and I found some plans to make those relatively cheap. I just like the Idea of pushing a button to raise the lid on the hot tub.

Quote Originally Posted by James Stokes View Post
    I do not see how I can make the struts work for what I want. I am going to make a new 1 piece cover for the tub. I really want it to raise straight up verses folding back.
    Straight up? Are you really going to want to sit directly underneath this heavy pool cover?

I plan to.

Blog Entries
    To lift from above using air, you will need an air cylinder or several. With some cables and pullies you could make a lifting mechanism with as few as one air cylinder. Four feet of lift is either going to be a long aircylinder or a shorter one coupled with some pullies to increase the stroke. You will also need some sort of structure above the hot tub to support the entire mechanism and the weight of the cover, unless you have a few pair of anti-gravity boots or hover boards lying about. However, I doubt that the hardware will total less than the $200 for the tip off covers you can get from any hot tub supplier.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

are you going to wind load engineer this, really?

James,

I have one of the after market flip over style cover things and it works great!
    One thing to consider in this planning is what happens when the wind picks up?
    What happens when a strong gust blows through while you are in the tub, and the lid, which is above you, starts swinging from all these pullys and cables and stuff... Kinda sounds scary. Also, what about seeing the stars and such??
    Rethink the fold over cover...

Jason