Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Planes are out! Not for the squeamish!

Hi John -

No argument from here... the only thing is will say is that all of the cost is right in front of you... there's not much margin in the product...

And we will continue to produce at both ends of the price spectrum...

Cheers -

Rob

Beautiful, really. Not something I can afford, but I bet they perform as well as they look. Kinda like a Porsch. Thanks for the dual lines so that the rest of us don't get pushed out of the hobby by the wealthy or reduced to the BORG tool crib crapola.
    Last edited by Jack Camillo; 11-24-2008 at 12:29 PM.

Just giving my initial reaction to the plane Derek. Surely Rob & Co. value all opinions from the marketplace!

Cheers
    Jim B

Blog Entries
    If the money was available to me, my choice would likely be this plane.

Having a few block planes, SWMBO will likely never be convinced this one is needed as much as it is coveted.

The design appears to have attained a pinnacle of ergonomic and functional engineering.

This tool looks to be an extension of the user's hand. The better the tool fits in the hand, the less the craftsman thinks about the tool and the more the work can flow from the heart.

Yes, they do seem a bit pricey, But there is not another plane with as much thought toward the user incorporated into its design.

Just my 2¢

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Having a few block planes, SWMBO will likely never be convinced this one is needed as much as it is coveted.
    Thanks for the reminder to not let my wife know what I actually own

This is a beautiful piece, I can't wait until I can cough up the cash for one of these bad boys!
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!

That puppy looks....

like it should be on a road track somewhere. What is the 0 to 60 time?
    Can-Am, Nurberg Ring, Watkins Glen?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Beautiful plane. Tool as art. I've got the LV LA block - that was my first LV plane. If I need another, I'd probably get the standard angle or the apron plane. If I didn't have a block plane, I'd be sorely tempted by one of these. Can't wait to see what comes next.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Of course it's a plane! What did you expect? A rocket?

Seriously, there haven't been any truly earth shattering innovations in planes in years, maybe a couple of thousand years. Neanderthals have long realized the truth of that. Power tool wood workers, on the other hand, are always looking for something new.

Of course, the last few thousand years has taught us that not all planes are created equally. Neither are they all priced equally.

There are some things about this one that I really like. This one seems to have used modern materials and design to build solidly upon its ancient heritage.

Then again, I just like "new" old tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    . .Here is my review ... The Veritas Premium Block Plane

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...ockPlanes.html . . .
    Derek's review is quite helpful for me. I think it's nearly impossible to make a real improvement in the performance of a high quality block plane

The places to make a difference are:in preparation, so the product is finely and reliably tuned right out of the box; in features and in appearance.

I like the look, at first I thought it was over the top, and it reminded me of the Buck Rogers aluminum planes of years ago. Then looking at it next to the other planes in Derek's review, the other planes look boring and industrial, built without an aesthetic sense. One of the things I like about old tools is that they payed attention to appearance. I see that here. 21st century planes.

I wonder what will come next?
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

One thing that folks might notice if they compare the less expensive of the new Veritas planes is that the regular ductile iron version at $179 is only $14 more expensive than the current list price on the Lie-Nielsen low angle block plane which has gone up to $165. I would contend that for $14, the toepiece stop, the nicer ergonomics, and the better adjuster make this plane a good buy. For a low angle plane, I agree with Derek that I would like to see an iron available in O-1.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

They sure look like a great companion to the new stylish dovetail saw.

I can't believe someone mentioned Porsche in the same breath as these planes. Obviously those folks don't own or drive a Porsche...
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

I just put my order in. Should be here in 2 weeks.

My wife wishes I didn't have this disease so bad.....

Going to be a long 2 weeks.

Outstanding looking planes, Im glad someone took the time to be innovative, as that is what humanity should always strive to be.

Thanks LV.

One thing that surprised me was that the sides were square to the sole. It just looks so aerodynamic I was sure it wasn't. I had to read the LV webpage close and see Dereks review before I realized that you could use if with a shooting board. That's a very cool piece of work.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    the only thing is will say is that all of the cost is right in front of you... there's not much margin in the product...
    Rob, can you give an idea how much more expensive it is to use the rust-resistant cast iron? As a for instance, what would be the incremental cost of the existing low-angle block if you simply made the body from the new material?

I like the idea of reduced rust on hand tools, but I'm not sure I want/need all the extra polishing, stainless steel hardware, etc. (Although the captured adjuster and toe setscrew do make a lot of sense.)

Also, A2 usually does better at higher included angles...is there any chance of an O1 blade for these?