Thread: looking for plans for a large wine cabinet

looking for plans for a large wine cabinet

i am looking for plans for a large wine cabinet. hold at least 100 bottles. i am trying to find plans that use the crisscrossed peice to hold the bottles, like a couple bottles per square.

like this
    http://www.justwineracks.com/Wine-Ce...BE-WC1087.html
    or this
    http://www.justwineracks.com/Wine-Ce...IA-WC1110.html

i think i can figure out the outside jointery, but the inside portion, like how the shelf peices attatch inside. and how the shelves joint to each other.
    if you have plans or know of a place that has one that would be a big help, thanks
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Curtis,
    I'm not going to be able to answer your question about the criss-crossed joinery, but I do have one comment about the design in the first attachment: I have found that designs that allow bottles to stack on other bottles do not work well with sloped shoulder bottles such as pinot or sarah. I have switched to designs where the bottles each have their own cradle more like the second design. Good luck with your project.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Abbott View Post
    Curtis,
    I'm not going to be able to answer your question about the criss-crossed joinery, but I do have one comment about the design in the first attachment: I have found that designs that allow bottles to stack on other bottles do not work well with sloped shoulder bottles such as pinot or sarah. I have switched to designs where the bottles each have their own cradle more like the second design. Good luck with your project.
    I think sloped shoulder bottles would work ok if you alternate their direction. Have you tried that? The large open diamond style racks are much more efficient, i.e. cheaper to build and hold many more bottles / sq. ft. That's what I'm planning for my wine cellar.

As far as the joinery, imagine opposing boards with kerfs sized for the board, that run half the width of the board. set them in opposition and at a 90 degree agle to one another, and they fit together. Brads, glue, maybe some cleats and you're all set. It's possible you won't need any brads/glue/cleats if they're set within box.

The large square is the most efficient use of space, but the diamond(actually square set on an a 45 degree angle) looks nicer and is relatively simple to make. Look at some lattice, same principle, but dado the meeting point for strength. You can dado these in wide boards and rip into strips. 3/4" square is plenty big for the strips. Spacing is usually 3-1/2" square. The lattice looking panels can be put in the cabinet with a stop strip on each side.

Tony Joyce

i made a wine rack last year that is a per bottle holder, using a 3 inch drill bit, then cut the boards in half. look it up in the project forum. well, its already filled, but things can be moved from one rack to another. we now have 3 racks, this will be the 4th plus the wine fridges.

after talking with the woodshop teacher, we figured that a half lapp, using the dado, would work for the cross peice joints. but we could figure what would be the best way to joint the 45 degree peices to the sides of the cabinet. some sort of joing, or bracket, or something else. also what would a typical shelf square be? 1x1ft?

i searched google for 45 degree brackets, to mount the crosspeices to the outside frame. but i didnt find anything useful. nayone know where to look for something like this? i could possibly mig weld some up, but i dont think they would look the nicest

7. Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    ...also what would a typical shelf square be? 1x1ft?
    I think you need to figure on inside dimensions of 13" to 14" to accomodate 3 1/4" and/or 3 1/2" bottles.

do they make 45 degree brackets?

If you put a 45 degree bevel on the ends, do you really need brackets?

whats going to hold them in and spread out the weight?