Thread: Long bolts for toggle clamps

Long bolts for toggle clamps

I have some basic toggle clamps, like these:

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-PRO-51120-...7567704&sr=8-1

The business end is a 1/4" diameter threaded bolt that is about 1.5" in length, with a black, rubber foot molded on the end. I'd like the bolts to be maybe 3" in length. Of course I can get bolts, but without the feet. Does anyone have any idea where I can get longer bolts with feet? Or feet that fit over a standard hex bolt head?

Thx
    David

De-Sta-Co is a prime manufacturer of toggle clamps. Also Grainger has many clamp accessories in their on-line catalog. A place to start....
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Call Peachtree WW tomorow and ask for Dave. You will likely get Dave anyway but... just tell him John Thompson from Lawrenceville sent ya. Ask him for extender bolts with feet for toggle clamps. He has them in both 2 1/2" and 6". They are about $3 per and if you need an in-between size get the 6" and cut them off.

The pad pivots on the bottom and is aound 1" - 1 1/4" without going down to measure. They may be on their web-site but I did not see them the last time I looked. But they definitely have them as I just purchased 3 for a taper jig I posted several weeks ago.

Good luck...

Sarge...
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can use a coupling nut, and threaded rod to make them any length you want.

At one time I needed some longer bolts and I use a carriage bolt and put the rubber bumper from a door stop on them, the kind that mounts to the wall to keep the door knob from hitting the wall. it work just fine.

If I remember right all I had to do was grind the head down just a little.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    You can use a coupling nut, and threaded rod to make them any length you want.
    Actually, unless you want them REALLY long, the coupler gets in the way. DAMHIKT.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Actually, unless you want them REALLY long, the coupler gets in the way. DAMHIKT.
    Glad you posted that as I was just too tired to type. Been there and done that and the reason I just bought them with large pivoting pads. I've used Bill's method with standard hex bolts and furniture bottom rubber bumpers. Not bad but I was at Peachtree WW.. they had the long and short and it was a done deal.

Sarge..

Thanks everyone.

David