Thread: First pen questions

First pen questions

I finished my first pen. It is a slimline kit from CSUSA. I got the kit about a year ago and finally got around to using it. I couldn't find the instructions so I talked to CSUSA and they told me which instructions to download and the use the bushings that came with the pen mandrel. After turning the barrels and assembling the pen I have ridges at the center band and ends. I made sure that the barrels were perfectly level with the bushing. Is there a chance that the bushings are not correct? There are no bushings listed with the instructions I downloaded. Are most pen kit - bushing combinations usually end up flat with the pen parts? I included a picture to look at. It didn't turn out very well but it shows what I am talking about. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

Quinn
    Attached Images Attached Images

First off, congratulations for making your first pen. Hold on to it and watch how they improve with a little practice.

The picture is pretty fuzzy so it is hard to tell alot about your pen. There is always a chance that the bushings are not correct. The bushings are specific to the kit and the same styles from two different manufacturers are not always the same size. Measure them with callipers against the pen parts they represent. If you don't have calipers, just hold them up to the parts and see how they line up.

large bushings

Bushings were too large. You could measure the pen parts to determine what size bushing to use. Keep on turning.

Congrats on your first pen. As Mark said each manufacture can be a little different therefore it is important to measure to confirm your bushings are correct. If need to you can even make your own bushings. I've made them from corian. If your careful they can last along time. In time you may get away from bushings completely. I've stopped buying bushings and will make them or measure as I go.
    Keep up the good work and lets see some more pens.
    Dave

Thanks for all of the good suggestions. It would be a piece of cake to make my of with some corian. That is a great idea. Going without is a good suggestion as well.

Thanks

Quinn

Thanks for posting!

your bushings should be the exact same size as the center pen band. Hope this helps.
    Bob

Welcome to pen turning. You have been assimilated

I have the same problem on the first cigar pen I turned. Did not get the bushings in the right places to match up with the ends. Keep at it and like someone else said match up the bushing with the pen parts. Mistakes are part of the learning process. Don't know why I have to learn so much???