Thread: Looking for raised panel blanket chest plans or pictures

Looking for raised panel blanket chest plans or pictures

I know a lot of you have built beautiful blanket chests with raised panel sides and I have seen plans for one that I really liked I think in wood magazine, but for the life of me I cannot find the one I want. Was wondering if any/all of you could show me your blanket chests as Christmas is approaching fast and I need to get one under the tree. Looking for a unit with raised panels (three across front and one on each side with flat breadboard top. I know how to do the side construction, but I am not sure how to do the back and bottom.

Thanks!
    Jason Morgan

The website appears to be down right now, but check out an issue of Woodwork magazine about 3-4 months ago.

There was an article with diagrams of a beautiful jarrah and cedar blanket chest with raised panels.

I wish I could find pictures.

Just found it. Its in the August 2008 issue.

Starts on page 34. Entitled "Making a blanket chest"

Check out Tchisel. He has a series of videos that go over construction of a similar blanket chest to what you describe. If you haven't heard of Tommy, he is the real deal. A bit gruff for some, but he cracks me up.

http://www.tchisel.com/BlanketChest_.../Project3.html
    Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael View Post
    I suspect family members are plotting an intervention.

Hi. I just read your post. Though it is definitely to late for xmas this is an over sized blanket /storage chest I built some years back. It looks the same all the way around. It is 41" tall and 60" wide and 25" deep overall. In hind sight I should have only made it 48" wide. I heard a lot of kidding on this one. Take care.DCP_1064.jpg

DCP_1065.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Hi. I just read your post. Though it is definitely to late for xmas this is an over sized blanket /storage chest I built some years back. It looks the same all the way around. It is 41" tall and 60" wide and 25" deep overall. In hind sight I should have only made it 48" wide. I heard a lot of kidding on this one. Take care.DCP_1064.jpg

DCP_1065.jpg
    Wow, I don't know why anyone would kid you about that chest, as it is PHENOMENAL! Great design and execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Faucett View Post
    Wow, I don't know why anyone would kid you about that chest, as it is PHENOMENAL! Great design and execution.
    Me either! That's a beautiful piece of work, and I bet the person that has their stuff in it doesn't think it's too big.
    60" wide looks just right.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I drafted a 48" version after this one and decided the proportions were better for modern day homes. You also have to remove 3 or six trays to get to the bottom 12". If I should build another one it will have two drawers for the bottom 12". The top requires 12" clearance from the wall to open fully. If nothing else. Things sure smell good when you open it.