Thread: Lap Desk - Looking for ideas and plans

Lap Desk - Looking for ideas and plans

Hey everyone, I'd going to make a lap desk for my wife and I'm looking for some ideas and possible plans. I did find some plans here but I thinking there's some better things I can add to it.

My wife does some laptop work early in the AM before the kids get up and she likes to sit in our living room where the wood stove is. I think a lap desk would really be nice for her.

As much as I would like to surprise her for Christmas, I think its the type of thing that I'd like to really customize for her needs.

I have some really pretty hickory that I'll probably use (we were in Lancaster last weekend looking at some hickory furniture and she really liked it).

If anyone has some pictures and design ideas, it would be much appreciated. One thought would be that even though she's mostly working while the kids are sleeping, it would still be a good idea to design it so she can get up quickly if needed. Perhaps a flat base that would slide under the cushion she's sitting on and have a single support for the desktop...and have that top be able to swivel out of the way?

Lap Desk

Daniel, I made a lap desk for my son last year for Christmas out of red oak. I got the plan from Woodworkers Journal .com ( sorry I don't know how to set up links) Look under plans then desks on page 1 I used the one Vol. 3 issue 1 pg. 6 . I modified it with a deeper drawer and made a prop rod to hold the top up and put the ledge at the top of the writing area so he can turn it around and use it for sheet music while he plays guitar. I also made i 16 3/4 in. wide . I liked this set up because he can keep lots of stuff handy. Good luck . Craig

Hey Craig, thanks for the heads up. I really like your mod for the sheet music, great idea! I'm leaning more towards a flat desk with no storage just because its going to be used much more for typing...meaning that raise it up too much for her to comfortably type...plus, she's not storing writing supplies and things of that nature. Of course, she may want a cabinet type for all I know, hence why I'm asking her.

I think this is the link: here

This is the one I use all of the time its great. has a pad on the bottom to make it comfortable on the legs and it is easily moved and stored.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

Quote Originally Posted by Angus Hines View Post
    This is the one I use all of the time its great. has a pad on the bottom to make it comfortable on the legs and it is easily moved and stored.
    That's pretty much what I had originally envisioned...then I started thinking of something that wouldn't have to rest on the legs. Perhaps that will just be making it more than it needs to be. Making it bigger like I described in the first post would certainly make it more difficult to store.

I think I'll go with something similar to what you have there. I like the bottom pad idea too...now I'm thinking memory foam wrapped in a nice microfiber.

Thoughts??

I like the Memory foam and Microfiber plan. The Naugahyde on this one gets a little hot and sticky sometimes.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Even though its a lap top, she uses a usb mouse...so it would make sense for me to make the desk wide enough to accommodate that. Not sure if that will increase the chance of tipping? Probably not, but depending on how much she leans on it while using the mouse it could be.

I like the Memory foam and Microfiber plan. The Naugahyde on this one gets a little hot and sticky sometimes.

Thanks. Any recommendation on where to get some? I probably need a 1" or 1 1/2" thickness and only a couple square feet.

This looked like a neat site: here

Are there any places you like to use or have heard good things about?

Nope never even looked around for the stuff. But the pad on this one is 1-1/2" thick.

And yes a little wider if she uses a USB mouse. this one is roughly 24"x16" square but no real room for a mouse.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nope never even looked around for the stuff. But the pad on this one is 1-1/2" thick.

And yes a little wider if she uses a USB mouse. this one is roughly 24"x16" square but no real room for a mouse.
    I remember there being some sort of foam dealer near me in the Philly area. I went there years ago for some projects in high school. Place was really cool, they had blocks of rigid foam the size of a car...which I wouldn't be surprised if they were used for something like carving project designs. I bet they'd have rolls of memory foam.

Lap Desk

Daniel, If you think she might not like to have it resting on her legs. Why not make removable side props or legs? Maybe attached with dowels for removal and storage? You could make it all at the same time so it would match. Just a thought. Happy Woodworking, Craig