Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawer Construction

Drawer Construction

How should I attach drawer false fronts made from 1/2" thick figured cherry to the front of a 9/16" thick red oak drawer box? This was my plan:

1. Drill 4, maybe more, screw holes in the drawer box fronts
    2. Clamp (somehow?) the drawer boxes one row at a time in the cabinet
    3. Line up and clamp in place the drawer fronts where I want them,
    4. Mark the hole locations through the drawer box on to the false fronts
    5. Dissasemble and move to gluing station
    6. Glue, screw, and clamp the fronts to the boxes.

Any better ideas? What about that evil thing I rarely account for (wood movement)?

Hi Dave, just use the screws, don't glue the fronts on.

Double sided tape will hold the false fronts on long enough for you to put a clamp on, then drive the screws.

Regards, Rod.

That should save me quite a bit of time! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Dave, just use the screws, don't glue the fronts on.
    x's 2

You can pin the drawer front on from the drawer side too, then screw it. That's how I do it anyway.

Blog Entries
    I drill four screw holes from the inside of the drawer through the front of the drawer box and insert the wood screws I plan to use so their tips stick out about 1/16". Then I put some weight in the drawer so it settles where it will be in use, center the face piece in or on the opening and hold it in place with shims. Then I press the drawer box forward against the back of the front piece while pushing on the front piece. This leaves four indentations on the back of the drawer face. I drill pilot holes and then use those holes to attach the front to the drawer box with screws.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you have a handle on the drawer, I have used them as the temporary support also. Just slightly oversize the holes.

Brad

So, nothing to worry about regarding thin slices of different species of wood moving around? The biggest drawer front is 22" wide X 10.5" tall, which is an inch longer and wider than the box front (1/2" reveal all arond the box). I don't really understand wood movement much, but I assumed a good glueup might mitigate any future separation, warping, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    If you have a handle on the drawer, I have used them as the temporary support also. Just slightly oversize the holes.

Brad
    I thought of that too, especially when I was considering glueing them and needing something in the center to pull the two together well. But I was hoping to finish the cabinet before applying the hardware.

Nevermind, I read too fast and missed "temporary"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Novak View Post
    So, nothing to worry about regarding thin slices of different species of wood moving around? The biggest drawer front is 22" wide X 10.5" tall, which is an inch longer and wider than the box front (1/2" reveal all arond the box).
    I wouldn't worry.

I don't really understand wood movement much, but I assumed a good glueup might mitigate any future separation, warping, etc.
    The screws will hold it just fine. Bigger drawer fronts I'll throw a 5th screw in there at the top center, but that is just to make sure a gap doesn't form, or to close one that is already there.

Thanks everyone! I'm off to go screw up my drawers. (oops, I guess that phrase only works when your gluing)

I just made a new pantry for our kitchen. I has 7 drawers in it. I found that if I place the drawer front on the drawer where I want it, then I take my brad gun and nail thru the drawer into the drawer front, it will stay in place until I can get the screws in. I did this on all 7 drawers and the spacing between them are equal all around.

Randy

I do a similar thing to what Lee does, bore 4 holes in the drawer box , just the right size to "hold" the screws fast.

Where I deffer is that I only start two of the four screw in opposite corners , I use 1/8" alinimium spacer , as that is the gap I shoot for.

Side the front into position then give it a whack with the side of my hand to either set the screws so they hold, optimum result , or at least mark the screws then drive both into the front.

Now do any adjoining fronts , then check out the adjustment, if I'm happy I then drive in the remaining screws. If I'm not I can loosen the screws and do a fist adjustment if it's slight, or over bore the two holes , reinsert the screws and adjust using that over sized hole , then drive the remaining screws.

So, nothing to worry about regarding thin slices of different species of wood moving around? The biggest drawer front is 22" wide X 10.5" tall, which is an inch longer and wider than the box front (1/2" reveal all arond the box). I don't really understand wood movement much, but I assumed a good glueup might mitigate any future separation, warping, etc.
    All good tips here, but there would be no problem glueing the faces to the box. The grain is the same orientation, and although there would be a slight variation of movement between two species, it would not be sufficient for the glue joint to fail.

i just finished my first kitchen set of cabinets. What i do is position the drawer where i want it and then drill holes for the pulls through the attached front and continue thru the drawer itself. Then i attache the drawer front and the drawer pulls and make sure all is straight. Then i open the drawer and really secure it with 4 screws from the inside.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone! I'm off to go screw up my drawers. (oops, I guess that phrase only works when your gluing)
    That's right; glue up, screw down ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler