Thread: Central Machine T-583 1HP Drill Press

Central Machine T-583 1HP Drill Press

I have been looking for a drill press for the last few months and came across this one on my local Craigs List
    http://[/URL]

16 speed 1HP (16amp/60hz) circa 1999 and made in Taiwan.

Here it is in its new home

Drill press also came with a 6" vise

The seller pretty much had it in storage for the last few years. Outside of a little surface rust (it is all cast iron), it looks to be fairly new and in pretty good shape. I paid $150 for it. How did I do?

Quick question for you drill press experts pertaining to quill rattle. When I grab the chuck and rotate it one way and then the other, I feel a little bit of a loose slap (less then 1/8 inch from side to side). It remains consistent through the entire extension of the down lever. Is this going to be a major issue?

Hi Phil, it sounds like what you are describing is backlash in the quill splines.

First step is to check that all the pulley set screws are tight and the keys are the correct size.

After that, it's just play in the splines, which shouldn't be a problem for you..Regards, Rod.

Likely a serviceable machine. My concern would be with the price you paid as HFT DP's typically sell for relatively low prices new.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Phil,
    I have the same drill press. I bought it from Harbor Freight 20 years ago for about $250. It's a winner. Mine has tons of hours because I also use it as a drum sander and a polisher. It also has plenty of power and sports a very wide range of speeds.

As mentioned above, it's the backlash of the spline gear that your feeling and not runnout. It has nothing to do with performance.

I recommend making a nice table/fence for it. I also mounted the drill press' base on a wider sheet of 3/4 plywood for more stability. I would recommend this for any drill press.

This is one of the few gems that Harbor Freight carried. Otherwise, I would agree with the Caveat Emptor statement. Today, a similar drill press would be about $400+ without tax or shipping. So, I think you did very well.

Enjoy.

-Jeff

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am happy to hear that the movement is not actually quill rattle as for a moment, I thought I had purchased a really worn drill press. I stopped by one of the local wood working tool stores and checked the Jet, Delta and Grizzly DP's and ones they had on the floor had some spline play as well. I'll look at it tonight to make sure everything is tight.

Jeff: Thanks you for your reply. I was worried that I might have over payed for this DP but after hearing about what you bought yours for and how well it has held up, my fears have now been alleviated.