Thread: Ever seen a bedrock with a metal handle??

Ever seen a bedrock with a metal handle??

Ugly at least imo see John Schreiber's picture below
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 11-26-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: link to eBay violates Terms of Service

must be extra fun to grip on a cold winter day, too!

Blog Entries
    Stanley made aluminum handles for replacement. Not sure if they were ever on the planes as sold.

Also note that this one has the wrong lever cap.

The aluminum handles were often used in schools because kids would really mess up the wooden handles.

The picture with the blade sticking out the bottom makes me think the mouth may also be in bad shape.

jim

get the villagers and the torches because frankenplane is on the loose again

Not only is this a Frankenplane, but it appears from the first photo of the right hand side of the tool that someone brazed a crack on the sidewall just forward of the tote. Note the bubbles. It also looks from some of the other pix that there are some hairline cracks on the inside of the sole just aft of the adjuster knob.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Yep, that's ugly.

The mods will pull the ebay link, so here's one of the pictures.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Oh - is that another in the new line of LV planes?
    Use the fence Luke

doug, maybe if the entire thing was chrome

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Not only is this a Frankenplane, but it appears from the first photo of the right hand side of the tool that someone brazed a crack on the sidewall just forward of the tote. Note the bubbles. It also looks from some of the other pix that there are some hairline cracks on the inside of the sole just aft of the adjuster knob.
    Frankenplane to me means a plane made of unoriginal and mismatched parts; and that is not the case here. I believe this is a school plane and it was delivered that way from the factory. 605's were very commonly used in manual training classes. There are both aluminum and rubber covered metal handles found on these, even though the knob was rosewood. The wear on this plane also appears similar to the school planes I have seen. Often there is a stamped letter on the cheek of the plane such as an E or an B of E. Here is a school plane that I restored and swapped out the rubber tote for a rosewood one. It is a great performing plane with a replacement iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Parker View Post
    Ugly at least imo see John Schreiber's picture below
    Uhm, I may be as ugly as a Frankenplane, but I'll try not to take offense.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Didn't even look that close, but now that you mention it, the screw holding the front of the tote looks to be a brass flat head or a frog screw. Not what Stanley originally used.

The knob also looks to be cracked.

The nightmare of this is that someone will likely buy it, then look all over the web on how to fix it, find us here and then come asking for help.

One thing I have learned in life is to ask for help before buying. Of course, I don't always do it, but I know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Frankenplane to me means a plane made of unoriginal and mismatched parts; and that is not the case here. I believe this is a school plane and it was delivered that way from the factory.
    How many parts have to be unoriginal and mismatched? The lever cap is not a Bedrock LC. The screw holding the tote is not correct.
    One of the problems with High School Shop planes is they have been used by inexperienced kids who do not take care of the tools.

Tools are often in a bad enough state when only one or two owners lost interest and set them on a shelf to collect dust and rust. Here we may have a tool that passed through hundreds of hands where very few of the handlers gave a hoot about what happened to the tool.

jim

Hello Jim,

Don't post much at all here but I do take a look in once in a while. I'll agree this one isn't in very good shape by the looks of it.

Depending on the type however, that could be the original lever cap. I have a few Bedrocks and the later types don't have Bedrock in the lever cap, just Stanley or Stanley surrounded by orange.

It's easier to put a link in, hope it works.

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/brtypes.htm

I believe John Walter's book "Antique & Collectible Stanley Tools Guide to Identity and Value" used Bob Kaune's type study if I remember correctly.

Take care,
    Daryl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Weir View Post
    Hello Jim,

Depending on the type however, that could be the original lever cap. I have a few Bedrocks and the later types don't have Bedrock in the lever cap, just Stanley or Stanley surrounded by orange.
    Learn something new everyday.

I am not much into the Bedrocks. Owned one and sold it. Like my Bailey style just fine.

jim