Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried the little Ryobi band saw??

Anyone tried the little Ryobi band saw??

I have a need for a small band saw for on site work. Saw a 9" Ryobi for $99 at Home Depot.

Has anyone used one of these? Are they any good?

I don't expect perfection, but I would like it if they didn't break a lot of blades, or stall easily.

Are Timberwolf blades available for it??

Thanks,

Rick Potter

My neighbour has one. He got what he paid for.
    He comes to my shop to use my BS for anything hard.
    That is not to say that his is not useful, but it is a bit short of grunt.

Ryobi 9" bandsaw

About 5 years ago I purchased a Ryobi bs 900. I used to shop at sears and they had a scratch and dent/return tool section. They often sold for less than half price and included the orig warranty.

I purchased it thinking I had made a good deal but I was wrong.
    It is just too small to be an effective tool. I used it a few times after I purchased it and havn't used it since (7 yrs?). Maybe I didn't use it long enough to get to know the tool but I found the experience frustrating.

I have yet to upgrade since I have been doing more remodeling and cabinet work lately. I think everyone has made a few bad tool purchases and this is mine.

On the positive side I think it would be an excellent tool if you were a scale model builder.
    bob boake-Tulsa OK

Depends on what you want use it for...

I have a copy (EBay Special) but it's basically the same saw. It's ecellent for pen blanks, I use it to make veneer for string inlay, cut metal like brass plate, etc..

Anything small. It's also works great for small bandsaw boxes up to 2-3" thick & 6x6 square.

Now if you expect to rip 2" oak pieces, cut table sized cabriole legs, etc.. with it you will be disappointed. But if you use it like an oversided scroll saw to cust those kind of small things.. it's awesome.

Also does a very good job cutting down thin sides for small boxes. Hell it's only 99$ -- what do you expect.

I also have a much bigger HF 14" saw (lot of folks will say that is a waste too) that cost me 212$ delivered ... it's not perfect but it cuts bowl blanks fine and it resaw 6" stuff all day long w/a good blade on it. Would I love a 20" Jet -- yes, but I am waiting for a place and time to score an antique iron job .. like a Crescent 36" or some such..
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Ryobi 9" Band Saw

I purchased one for small work and pen blanks. It does fine for that. Used it for scrolling 2" Maple and it took some coaxing. It's no Delta 14" but it is usefull especially when you need portability.

Wayne Goldstein

I have one along with a 14". The Ryobi is just great for my smaller work like in Intarsia, banded inlay, etc. Don't confuse it for a decent 14", but it's great on a bench when your doing lots of small work.
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

A few years ago I used one for a little while. Having been accustomed to my 14" at home (inexpensive) I wasn't expecting much. After I adjusted the blade guides and support bearing it performed reasonably well. I was pleasantly surprised. As the others point out, don't use it for heavy work, but for light work it performs well. That said, I'm not buying one to supplement my bandsaw.

Keith Z.

Thanks guys....

As I said, I just need it for on-site work. There is no way I am transporting my 14" around for the occasional lite duty work.

I just saw that Delta makes one too. Wonder if it is a better unit. Costs about the same.

I had a little Sears unit. It kept throwing off the blade. Plastic wheels.

Thanks,

Rick Potter

My first post !!!!!!!!!!
    I use 1 for toy making, took me time to set up and working well, but now it works great !!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome Rian.

Rick, as long as you don't expect more from it than it can give it isn't a bad $100 spent especially as a light site saw. TW blades can be ordered any length. I would recommend you get Lenox or Starrett blades instead, either from Iturra, Spectrum Supply or a local industrial supply.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 03-25-2012 at 5:11 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I've had the 9-inch Ryobi for at least ten years. First thing I did was replace the factory blade with one by a reputable manufacturer (can't recall brand but might be a 1/4" Timberwolf). As others have said it works fine for smaller items.

I just saw that Delta makes one too. Wonder if it is a better unit. Costs about the same.
    I have the Delta.
    It won't make a straight cut. The blade wanders all over the place.
    I orginally bought it for the exact same reason - portability to a job site/cutting things too large for a scroll saw.

There's decent benchtop bandsaws I'm sure.
    The Delta ain't one of them. @ least not the one I got.

.. like a Crescent 36" or some such..

Michael, Here you go. Crescent 36" , but probably too far to drive and I don't know how good that price is. Martinsburg, WV
    http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/tls/2899127193.html

Same with my little Delta benchtop. My wife gave it to me for Christmas and that's the only reason I haven't taken the hammer to it. I figure someday an enemy will come along and I will it give it to them!

Seriously, it won't make a straight cut no matter what. Plus everything feels cheap and plasticky on it.

I have used the Ryobi 9" as well as a similar Delta both owned by friends, then went out and bought a Harbor Freight 14" saw. Both of those guys come to use my HF band saw a LOT... Need I say more?
    Trying to follow the example of the master...