Thread: Nope, not mine, but interesting

Nope, not mine, but interesting

Message deleted.
    Last edited by Nancy Laird; 11-27-2008 at 3:16 PM. Reason: Deleted entire message - pictures don't show up and I can't get them to upload!!!
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Nancy please re-post and send me the pics. I can get them uploaded.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

Here ya go Nancy there up !!

Man Builds Noah's Ark (exact scale given in Bible)

Working Replica of Noah's Ark Opened In SCHAGEN, Netherlands . The massive central door in the side of Noah's Ark was opened to the first crowd of curious townsfolk to behold the wonder. Of course, it's only a replica of the biblical Ark , built by Dutch Creationist Johan Huibers as a testament to his faith in the literal truth of the Bible. The ark is 150 cubits long, 30 cubits high and 20 cubits wide. That's two-thirds the length of a football field and as high as a three-story house. Life-size models of giraffes, elephants, lions, crocodiles, zebras, bison and other animals greet visitors as they arrive in the main hold. A contractor by trade, Huibers built the ark of cedar and pine. Biblical Scholars debate exactly what the wood used by Noah would have been.

Huibers did the work mostly with his own hands, using modern tools and with occasional help from his son Roy. Construction began in May 2005. On the uncovered top deck - not quite ready in time for the opening - will come a petting zoo, with baby lambs and chickens, and goats, and one camel.

Visitors on the first day were stunned. 'It's past comprehension', said Mary Louise Starosciak, who happened to be bicycling by with her husband while on vacation when they saw the ark looming over the local landscape.

'I knew the story of Noah, but I had no idea the boat would have been so big.' There is enough space near the keel for a 50-seat film theater where kids can watch a video that tells the story of Noah and his ark. Huibers, a Christian man, said he hopes the project will renew interest in Christianity in the Netherlands, where church going has fallen dramatically in the past 50 years.

Attached Images Attached Images

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Rest of the PICX

Because I need ten charecters !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Awesome. I would love to have the wood he used to build that!

What's a cubit........

Right!
    I wonder if he has a loop of Cosby's routine playing. Nancy, he is al the way over in the Netherlands. You could have your own copy in NM.

About 18"

A cubit is about 18". It was one of those measurements that was based on a body part. A cubit was actually the distance from elbow to fingertips or thumb - can't remember exactlly which one. And if I recall correctly these measurement changed everytime they got a new King. The measurements were always based on the King's dimensions. (If I remember my history correctly)

A cubit is any one of many units of measure used by various ancient peoples and is among the first recorded units of length.
    The cubit is based on measuring by comparing – especially cords and textiles, but also for timbers and stones – to one's forearm length. The Egyptian hieroglyph for the unit shows this symbol. It was employed consistently through Antiquity, the Middle-Ages up to the Early Modern Times.
    The distance between thumb and another finger to the elbow on an average person measures about 24 digits or 6 palms or 1½ feet. This is about 45 cm or 18 inches. This so-called "natural cubit" of 1½ feet is used in the Roman system of measures and in different Greek systems.
    Over time, units similar in type to the cubit have measured:
    6 palms = 24 digits, i.e. ~45.0 cm or 18 inches (1.50 ft)
    7 palms = 28 digits, i.e. ~52.5 cm or 21 inches (1.75 ft)
    8 palms = 32 digits, i.e. ~60.0 cm or 24 inches (2.00 ft)
    9 palms = 36 digits, i.e. ~67.5 cm or 27 inches (2.25 ft)
    From late Antiquity, the Roman ulna, a four-foot cubit (about 120 cm) is also attested. This length is the measure from a man's hip to the fingers of the outstretched opposite arm.
    venni vetti varoom