Thread: Rocking horse plans & new arrival

Rocking horse plans & new arrival

My Son & Daughter-in-law surprised my wife & I over Thanksgiving with some great news..... they are expecting a baby. I would like to to do a couple projects before the arrival including a rocking horse. I've been looking at the Woodsmith Store plans of such a project and wonder if anyone had built this and had thoughts on the finished item and quality of the plans.

thanks,
    Mac McQuinn
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 11-28-2008 at 12:19 AM.

Congrats Mac...will this be your first grandchild?

I was in your sons shoes last year. We announced to our parents over the holiday also that we were expecting. I now have my 4 1/2 month old sitting beside me as I type this.

The rocking horse sounds like a great idea that will be very special. Not to discourage the idea, I would recommend waiting until next year. It will be quite some time before the kid will be able to use the rocking horse.

Something like a dresser/changing table would be something they could use right away and would last forever. The rocking horse could be given as next years Christmas present.

Again, this is not meant to offend, just being in the shoes that your son will be in by this time next year, the rocking horse will likely not get much use for at least a year.

Good luck, the next couple months will be over before you know it.

Josh

Josh,

Thanks for the posting, Yes this will be our first grandchild. Actually my Daughter -in-law suggested the rocking horse. I know she's looking down the road a bit and the need is at least a year away although I typically work on several projects at the same time and I'm hoping to gain some insight on whats out there for plans and such before starting.

thanks,
    Mac

Mac,

Take a look at the Wooden Memories web site, IMO they have the best plans I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Mac,

Take a look at the Wooden Memories web site, IMO they have the best plans I have ever seen.
    Thanks Keith, Some neat looking horses there.

Mac

Here's one satisfied customer.

The plans were good. I Don't recall how long it took to make. The leather and hardware were ordered from Woodcraft. Since this project was a labor of love for my first granddaughter I went the extra mile and hand tooled the saddle.

I think your grandchild would be happy that Granddad made.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Darryl,
    Thanks for the info and picture, great job on a heart felt project.

Mac

I found these plans in Wood magazine when they came out and built one for some friends of mine. They were amazed at how stable it was, their daughter would stand it right on end and it never once tipped over. It outlasted their 2 kids and is on its 3rd family now as I understand it. Worth a look. I found 2 links for it.

http://www.woodstore.net/rockinghorse.html

http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/Aud...kingHorse.html

I have built 7 of the design that Darryl used. it is a nice stabile design and you can use construction 2x's
    Charlie Jones

Creeker Myk Rian just made one that got published on the Wood Magazine website!

See it here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=rocking+horse
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"