Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My version of Phil Thein's seperator w/6" duct

John,

Sorry did not answer you earlier - have been busy.
    The height has been increased due to the changes of the inlet.
    I have not built this (still using the origional) but right now have not been doing a whole lot in the woodshop.
    What little I have done - the system is still working great!
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. Mark Twain

Greg,
    Neat ideas. Where did the height of the separator come from? I am thinking about doing something similar but building the separator directly into the original cylinder that the bags hook to. The filter could then be done like a cyclone going down instead of up (using one of these: http://www.wynnenv.com/Farr_style_photo.jpg). I think it might actually still fit on the stand too.

This mostly differs from yours in that the inlet would still be 6" instead of your much larger inlet. So I was wondering why your inlet is so huge? Does the 6" inlet really pose a big flow restriction? There are so many other restrictions in the system (outlet to the filter for example) that are of similar size right?
    Thanks!
    Salem

Greg,
    I was also wondering where you got the 3-4" dimension for the distance from the bottom of the Thein baffle to the pipe that connects up to the motor assembly.
    Thanks!
    Salem

Salem, look up Phil Thein's post on 1-24-2008 on modifying a single stage DC. When you come over on Wednesday, remind me to show you mine. Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Salem, look up Phil Thein's post on 1-24-2008 on modifying a single stage DC. When you come over on Wednesday, remind me to show you mine. Bruce
    Thanks Bruce that was the best description I have seen. In that picture I bet the exit of the baffle is ~8" from the separator. I was trying to figure out where Greg came up with 3-4". The geometry of Greg's is much different than the Jet baffle from the post you referred me to: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=755146 . For the Jet the exit is flush with the top of the separator chamber. But for Greg's there is a "snorkel" that reaches down into this chamber for the exit. I think the key is putting it where the cleanest air is. Just wondering if anyone had done any research to figure this out.

Anyway I would love to check out your DC . C'ya wed!
    Salem

Salem,
    Sorry about not replying sooner.
    Bruce is right about Phil's site.
    Understand this version I made is sort of a combination of a cyclone and Phil's baffle. There are actually quite a few different mods on Phil's site. Post some pics when you get it done.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. Mark Twain