Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My version of Phil Thein's seperator w/6" duct

I drew this up hope it helps...
    For some reason this thread is kind of messed up.
    If you hit "more replies below current depth" (above at top thread indicator) you can see were this thread is going or has gone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Greg McCallister; 12-18-2008 at 9:14 PM.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. Mark Twain

Greg, I have the murphy rodgers unit and want to improve the performance. I looked at Phil's site and the thing that impressed me was how nothing ended up in the shop vac unit. Thats very impressive. I can see the advantages for a filter system and am wondering how to apply that to my type. Mine has the large motor and turbin unit if that is the correct term, then it dumps everything into a can with a large bag which I have not had to clean. I hadnt thought about the bag plugging up and to be honest, I dont really know how it works. I do know that when big chucks go through the turbin, it makes a heck of alot of noise. I took it apart to check it for damage, and saw that the blades of the fan are pretty burly, but the tolerances are extreamly sloppy. One would think the unit would draw more if the tolerences were tightened up, but then the potential for damage would increase. So in short the concept of keeping material from passing through the turbin is great. I just picked up another similar unit and was thinking on how to use them both to get the best performance.

Rick,

Do you have any pictures or a drawing of the unit?
    Murphy Rodgers produce a lot of different units. It might help me better understand what you have.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. Mark Twain

latest version that can be addapted for moble use

I updated the drawing to allow a larger inlet rectangle which was brought to my attention that the previous verson resulted in a square inch reduction which could restrict airflow. Also with the ability to mount to blower directly to the top.
    If installed in a frame of some type (have not come up with that yet) the blower assembly and the cyclone/baffle assembly would be stationary and mounted to the cart. If the assembly is off the cart high enough to drop the can down 1" or so underneath the assembly, it would allow for easy removal. The can can be shimmed from the bottom to hold it in place (simple).
    Working on the outlet filter assembly design.
    I am open for idea's - anyone???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Greg McCallister; 12-20-2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: update pic

Here is a pic from the net of a murphy unitmurphy rodgers.jpg hope this worked

Greg, thanks for a plethora of idea's. The latest drawings cleared up a thing or two for me. Soon as we get rid of this foot of snow and ice I'm going to start implementing the mods you and Phil have developed.

A thought occurred to me. How much material is settling in the plastic bag? If the amount is negligible, could a second filter take the place of the bag on the bottom? Or is there a required amount of back pressure to keep the motor from exceeding a set RPM?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    A thought occurred to me. How much material is settling in the plastic bag? If the amount is negligible, could a second filter take the place of the bag on the bottom? Or is there a required amount of back pressure to keep the motor from exceeding a set RPM?
    The key is not to exceed your blower motors maximum current rating. But the resistance of the separator and ducting will make certain of that. The next question is whether you buy anything by adding a second filter. I'd imagine the payback would be somewhat limited.

Greg,

The amount of material in the bottom of the bag is little to none.
    I was thinking about modifying the filter by cutting into the metal top and run the outlet into that and mount a dust tray underneath. Need a sloping outlet. Bill Pentz uses something like that on his cyclone setup.
    Quite busy now with Christmas and all. Will try to come with a drawing over the Christmas holiday on the idea.

Phil,
    You never commented on the filter and the amount of material in it. What do you think?
    Last edited by Greg McCallister; 12-22-2008 at 8:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lucrezi View Post
    Here is a pic from the net of a murphy unitmurphy rodgers.jpg hope this worked
    Rick,

That is quite interesting (design). You could mount the impeller assembly on similar to my setup but would either make the inlet at a 90 degree or the outlet. Is the inlet 6"?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCallister View Post
    Rick,

That is quite interesting (design). You could mount the impeller assembly on similar to my setup but would either make the inlet at a 90 degree or the outlet. Is the inlet 6"?
    No the inlet is 4 inch. I just picked up another similar from a cabinet shop. A Dayton. I googled it and it was designed as a blower apparently. It is smaller in size than the Murphy unit, but it has a 6 inch suction side, and has 1.5 hp motor. I got it with all the piping and nice blast gates for a 100 bucks. Here is a pic of that unit. Seems I should be able to do something similar to what you guys are doing. I was thinking originally of installing one for the table saw and one for the jointer, Just cant pass up a good deal. If one would do the whole shop than I will have an extra. Your plan may be able to improve one of these so I wont need 2.

Dayton4C108.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCallister View Post
    Phil,
    You never commented on the filter and the amount of material in it. What do you think?
    You mean your post where you showed shots of your filter? I think they look pretty outstanding, seeing as you've emptied the unit four times.

The thought of skipping the bag and only having a cleanout on the bottom of the filter has occurred to me. Basically, the bag is currently acting as the world's largest cleanout. I suppose one could just cut-down a bag (length-wise) and use that, similar to Grizzly?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    You mean your post where you showed shots of your filter? I think they look pretty outstanding, seeing as you've emptied the unit four times.

The thought of skipping the bag and only having a cleanout on the bottom of the filter has occurred to me. Basically, the bag is currently acting as the world's largest cleanout. I suppose one could just cut-down a bag (length-wise) and use that, similar to Grizzly?
    Phil,

I tried that when I put the bag back on (folded it over) but it made a lot of noise. I am looking into making a transition of some type (need to do some measuring) maybe something similar to the one on the clearvue but would require cutting the metal top of the Wynn filter. I guess I could always patch the hole if it does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lucrezi View Post
    No the inlet is 4 inch. I just picked up another similar from a cabinet shop. A Dayton. I googled it and it was designed as a blower apparently. It is smaller in size than the Murphy unit, but it has a 6 inch suction side, and has 1.5 hp motor. I got it with all the piping and nice blast gates for a 100 bucks. Here is a pic of that unit. Seems I should be able to do something similar to what you guys are doing. I was thinking originally of installing one for the table saw and one for the jointer, Just cant pass up a good deal. If one would do the whole shop than I will have an extra. Your plan may be able to improve one of these so I wont need 2.

Dayton4C108.jpg
    I am no expert in dust collection but I would personally use the one with the 6" inlet and 1.5 hp motor. That did sound like a good deal. Do you have a large shop with a lot of duct or do you take the DC to the machine you are using? My duct work in my shop being so small, the largest run is around 12' of the 6" PVC.

the unit is stationary. Built into a wall unit. I am planning on building an addition this summer to house the DC and the Compressor. The add on will also have wood storage, and a small paint booth. That will free up some space and make my life easier.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCallister View Post
    I updated the drawing to allow a larger inlet rectangle which was brought to my attention that the previous verson resulted in a square inch reduction which could restrict airflow. Also with the ability to mount to blower directly to the top.
    If installed in a frame of some type (have not come up with that yet) the blower assembly and the cyclone/baffle assembly would be stationary and mounted to the cart. If the assembly is off the cart high enough to drop the can down 1" or so underneath the assembly, it would allow for easy removal. The can can be shimmed from the bottom to hold it in place (simple).
    Working on the outlet filter assembly design.
    I am open for idea's - anyone???
    Greg, I've been following your DC setup, all I can say is what a great setup. I do have a question concerning your dimensions from your original drawling the updated version. The original has a 12 inch height, did you carry that over to the updated vesion or is the 15 inch height correct?

Thanks,

John