Thread: Knife Block anyone?

Knife Block anyone?

I would like to make a Knife Block, probably in the realm of 20 slots, as we do A LOT of cooking and have quite the assortment of cutlery. I have looked around for ideas/plans/threads but cannot seem to find any. Does anyone know of a good construction method? Trick to getting the slots for the knives?

Thanks !

Jason, I made an in-drawer knife block for my sister 5-6 years ago (or more). I just went off-the-cuff, using pictures off a retail website that sold something similar. Here's one of the pics I went by:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

That looks great! though I am looking for the "on the counter" style... thinking of using Maple and Mahogany, or another dark wood.

Jason,

I found this doing a quick Google:
    http://www.am-wood.com/feb98/knife.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I just made one out of maple, and here's what I did. I first, measured all my knives. You need their widths, as well as figuring out the distance between each so the handles will clear. You'll need lumber as thick as the distance between the blades, long enough so no knife protrudes out the back, and is wide enough to hold 2 knives. Using your tablesaw or router, cut grooves in each board, from front to back. Each board should have 2 grooves in it. The next step is to glue it all up, and you'll be set. Repeat with the base, and you've got a knife block. I've attached my Sketch-up file so you can take a look at it. I recommend having the knives lay on their sides in the block, instead of on their edges. It'll keep your knives sharper, longer, and it's the way most blocks are being done these days. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have done it in the past. You are in essence making layers for each row. In order to get the thickness for the knives you just cut strips a little thicker than the knives. I pin them in and then leave the slot for the knife and pin the next one this results in a groove.

Looking @ production ones that is how it's done.

Blog Entries
    I've made several counter top knife racks. The most recent version I made the outside shell as a hollow tub. Then I cut dados in the faces of short pieces of 3/4" thick material each sized for a specific knife. I stacked these short pieces together, using screws to hold one tothe other until I made a square block that just fit inside the tube. I attached this block inside the wood tube with a couple of pocket hole screws in the bottom of the block. The primary purpose of the layers was to allow some knives to be replaced without having to replace teh entire knife holder. The insert can be removed and the layer for the old knife replaced with a new one.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Knife Block

I make a block using a very simple method. Depending on the number of knives being stored I use a finished block of material. Number of knives and length dictate the size ( width as well as length ) of the block. You can then simply find the widest knife and the thinest if desired and using your table saw simply set the saw at one inch incriments and cut the depth desired, through the entire length of your board. When you have finished with the saw slots, simply cut the block in the center lengthwise, and glue togather, matching the saw cuts as they were cut. Now it is a simple matter of putting an angle on the top or adding a block to the bottom to dress it up. Don't forget that the depth of the cut will be doubled as you are combining the two pcs. Finish with stain and your favorite baby oil, or mineral oil!
    You can make any variation depending on your desire for the final shape.
    I keep knives in a drawer using this method.