Thread: Method of attaching oak stair treads

Method of attaching oak stair treads

Can anybody suggest a method of attaching oak stair treads? Screws, nails etc.? I'd also appreciate a place to buy them besides the borgs. Thanks Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Liquid nail construction adhesive and nails would work fine. If you can, screw from underneath instead of nailing from above. Drill full pilot holes before nailing.

Most full service hardwood dealers can produce glued up stave panels (stair treads, table tops, butcher block counters, etc.) A cabinet door maker could probably also produce them. You might could even find a local woodworker with the equipment to do it efficiently. THEN, you could start getting fancy & use quarter sawn wood, or do an inlay, or, or, or,.... I love spending other people's money!!

Todd

Todd, How hard would it be to do myself? I have all the major equipment and even some of the minor stuff. Thanks Alan

Pretty much a no-brainer! Jointing, edgeing, planing, ripping, routing, crosscutting - all the standard operations you are fully capable of! Go for it! Use 5/4 stock. If your planer is wide enough, plane after you joint the edges and glue up. Watch your grain when glueing up so that any pieces glued together can be fed the same direction through the thickness planer.

Pretend you are making a bunch of narrow end tables - without the legs!

Todd

O.K. Todd thanks for the info. and encouragement. Alan

dfdfdddfdfdfdfdfdf