Thread: Tacking for Shellacing

Tacking for Shellacing

What do you use to tack off before and between coats of shellac?

I have tacked off prior to the first coat with paint thinner. How long should I wait before applying the shellac? The piece is made of red oak.

Nothing other than a clean, soft paper towel after I knock down the nibs after the first application. Any shellac dust would be re-disolved with subsequent applications. Remember, shellac is not like a varnish. It's an evaporative finish and each application dissolves into (burns in) the finish already on the workpiece.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I didn't figure that I would be using alcohol for the wipe down. Is it OK to use a cloth dampened with paint thinner, or no? After the initial paint thinner wipe down how long should I wait, especially given that it's red oak?

Blog Entries
    Correct or not, I have wiped pieces down with mineral spirits and then appllied shellac without waiting any particular period of time. The only time I tack with anything other than a dry micro-fiber cloth or just a clean rag is when I have sanded really fine for some specific purpose. On oaks or ash I will use an air gun on occasion if the pores are really pronounced. I do simply wipe with a clean dry rag or dry paper towel between coats of shellac however.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Yes, you can use mineral spirit or better naphtha between coats. You only need wait until it has evaporated--a matter of minutes. But it isn't needed.