Thread: Stucco and Christmas Lights

Stucco and Christmas Lights

Does anyone know how to hang Christmas lights on a stucco sided house with a flat roof?
    This will be my son's first Christmas in his new house and he wants to hang Christmas lights,
    but he doesn't want to put any holes in the stucco.
    Anyone have any suggestions
    Lori K

I would assume that he has some wood trim around the roof that could be used for fastening lights. There are plastic fasteners that slide under the roofing material to hold lights. There are quite a few different items made for fastening lights with out poking holes in house surfaces.
    David B

Assuming there's no wood trim or exposed roofing (probably a flat roof with parapet wall) you might try self adhesive nylon cable clips - sold at the BORG in the electrical dept. Adhesion to stucco might be a problem - if so, a little silicon caulk will do the trick.

This is one of those "unfortunately" questions as in "Unfortunately there is no really good way to do this." You can use "gutter clips" to string lights at the roof line or use the wood facia or some wood trim. But to temporarily attach something directly to the stucco, there really is no good option. You do not want to punch holes in the stucco for any reason. Even if this does not cause the stucco to crack right away, it will create weak spots that can cause big problems later on. Typically, stucco is too rough for "stick on" attachments to work at all. You can use masonry anchors to attach things to stucco but you would want to seal the hole somehow. This is usually done with a good calk or silicone sealant, but this is not a good solution for a temporary attachment and is risky even for a permanent one.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Franz View Post
    Assuming there's no wood trim or exposed roofing (probably a flat roof with parapet wall) you might try self adhesive nylon cable clips - sold at the BORG in the electrical dept. Adhesion to stucco might be a problem - if so, a little silicon caulk will do the trick.
    Bingo.

I use the clips, secured with clear silicone caulking to put up Christmas lights on brick/concrete walls.

Then you just use ty-wraps to secure the Christmas lights to the clips.

regards, Rod.

I own a stucco house. If he does not have wood areas or gutters to attach lights to I would confine my decoration to the yard. Look at lighting the shrubs, trees or getting some yard ornaments. Screws, clips, etc attached to stucco are just asking for chip outs and accelerated cracking.....

Hey thanks for responding so quick and sorry it took me so long to get back to you all.
    There is absolutely no wood except for the small front porch, more like a parapet as Ben suggested. I will show him the
    responses and let him decide.
    Al, I thought about just lighting the landscape also. The only problem; when I said new house I meant completely new.
    All trees/shrubs are less then 5'.
    IMG_0719.jpg
    Lori K

I guess giving a new lawn mower as a house warming gift is out, huh?
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

"... new lawn mower as a house warming gift is out..."

Yes. But they would probably love a good rake!
    David DeCristoforo

Wow... Great House..... Under the roof to the right, I bet the Wood Timbers are not covered with stucco. I would get cup hooks from home depot and put lights around the pillars in a spiral and up to the roof line and from cup hook to cup hook then down the pillar. Bury an extension cord in the stone to the trees and wrap the trees in lights.

It's not much but it will be a start.

AL

I had a Stucco house in San Diego. Battery operated Lawn Mower for this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".