Thread: Top 10 List

Smile Top 10 List

Ok so the new ShopBot is due in here in about 2 weeks?

So my questions are this ?

What are the top ten assembly mistakes you made when you put yours together?

What were the top ten mistakes you made when you first started operating it.

Might as well learn these now and get them out of the way so I can make newer, different and better ones !

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

WAIT!

You don't think you are going to slip this in without letting us know which ShopBot you ordered do you?

Lets have the specs

i did not have to put a shopbot together but i did have to make the ten mistakes,

#1 trying to operate it before i learned how!!!!

#2 buy a few extra cheap bits for the curve, save the expesive one's for when you can afford to be breaking them!!

#3 learn where the stop switch before turning on machine and stay near it during trials

#4 do not show off untill a few months from now, i have had my share of embarassing moments in front of all the wrong people (especially clients!)

#5 get some pink 1" or 1.5" insulation foam from a builder supply for testing, again save the solid mohogany for when you can afford to just throw it away!!

there are more back later

jim

ShopBots come with a kill button on a long cable, keep it in your hand when you run the machine the first few times.

Purchase both the Super ZZero and the Laser pointer, they are both invaluable...at least to me. You should be able to find links to both here at The Creek via search.

Borrow a precision machinists level to use when you assemble your ShopBot.

Order the 3/8" collet from ShopBot (if you purchased a spindle) so you can use end mills, they are generally cheaper than router bits, more precise and available in a large variety of styles. If you plan to use a router get the collet from the router manufacturer or distributor.

Hopefully ShopBot is shipping your new machine with Aspire instead of Partworks.

Order good quality dust collection hose, it took me a long time to find the right hose for my machine. Hose that is too flexible will act like an accordion and put strain on the carriage, stiff hose will also strain the carriage. If you need a vendor link contact me, I found the perfect hose.

It went with the 48-96-12 w/ the router option after I figure out how not to break stuff I may upgrade that. Went with the 12 " gantry instead of the 6" for the just in case factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    WAIT!

You don't think you are going to slip this in without letting us know which ShopBot you ordered do you?

Lets have the specs

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Check got the zZero...

Laser Pointer is that like the one in my laser???

Check have Starrett Level.

Could not talk them out of Aspire apparently VECTRIC is mad at them for the price they have it at now (to cheap).

Keith e-mailed you about the hose

One of the other suggestions I have heard is find somebody that has put one together before to help you. Since your close and have put 2 together before you wanna comae help Keith?? I got beer

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    ShopBots come with a kill button on a long cable, keep it in your hand when you run the machine the first few times.

Purchase both the Super ZZero and the Laser pointer, they are both invaluable...at least to me. You should be able to find links to both here at The Creek via search.

Borrow a precision machinists level to use when you assemble your ShopBot.

Order the 3/8" collet from ShopBot (if you purchased a spindle) so you can use end mills, they are generally cheaper than router bits, more precise and available in a large variety of styles. If you plan to use a router get the collet from the router manufacturer or distributor.

Hopefully ShopBot is shipping your new machine with Aspire instead of Partworks.

Order good quality dust collection hose, it took me a long time to find the right hose for my machine. Hose that is too flexible will act like an accordion and put strain on the carriage, stiff hose will also strain the carriage. If you need a vendor link contact me, I found the perfect hose.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh by the way, just knowing what mistakes we've made is absolutely no guarantee that you wont repeat them, in fact t I think its some kind of law...

So I've heard. Just wanted to amke sure I get to make newer beter ones thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by Neville Stewart View Post
    Oh by the way, just knowing what mistakes we've made is absolutely no guarantee that you wont repeat them, in fact t I think its some kind of law...

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Angus,

I think the hose was 25 mil urethane, I'll check.

When you get your ShopBot let me know when you will go into assembly mode, if I can swing it I would be glad to help.

Search for Super ZZero on the ShopBot Forum. The Super ZZero finds the top of your material or the table and the project or table origin (o,o). Very cool!

Search for Laser Pointer (I think) here at The Creek, posts made by Steve Knight. It installs in the router chuck and has a pinpoint red dot laser so you can setup XY origin on any point of your project or table. I used mine last to slide a ten foot long sign so I could setup a new origin to machine the second half of the sign.

Kent,

Do you recall the suppler where you got "the perfect 25 mil" hose? Diameter of the hose?

What do you use for a dust shield? Home made or Shopbot? If I remember correctly you have a high frequency spindle where I have a router? Actually mine came with double routers so I will have to have gate valves on each hose with a "Y" somewhere up stream....

Thank You in advance!!!

jim
    Life is just a series of projects.........

Jim

Here's the link to the perfect hose:

http://www.wynnenv.com/flexible_hose.htm

And Keith use the ShopBot designed Dust Foot.
    Last edited by Angus Hines; 12-15-2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Cause I can't spell

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Angus,

Thank You for the link. Just what we needed.

We are a good month away from getting our "new" used Shopbot up & running.

For now we are in the "hunting & gathering" mode right now... Then we'll move into the "some assembly required" mode.... Then finally into the "if you want it to work it will cost you extra" mode....

Thanks again,
    jim
    Life is just a series of projects.........