Thread: cleaning some very rusty saw blades

cleaning some very rusty saw blades

I have two 10" Hardi-Plank blades that are very rusty from having been outside on a job site (I know---this is not exactly a woodworking question but I figured that people here will know the answer).

The blades are diamond tipped and seem to cut well even when rusty. However, I would like to clean them off and prevent any (further) damage.

Any advice on this? My plan was to work on them with steel wool and then coat them with some sort of a wax to prevent future rust buildup while the blades are sitting in my shop.

bob

Top Saver approach?

I just cleaned off a nasty rust spot on my TS from someone (ahem) leaving a beverage on it... I used Top Saver and a scotchbrite-type pad for my 5" ROS (got it at Lowe's, Gator brand I think) and it cleaned up very quickly. I then followed it with Table Top lubricant, also from Empire, but I'd guess with a circular saw blade you could stop at the Top Saver step. It took less than five minutes to clean up start to finish.

boeshield

bob,

I've had great luck with the boeshield rust remover for cleaning up light to moderate rust, sounds like it might work here. If the rust is so severe it's built up and caused pitting, some people have written that the boeshield doesn't work as well. A google search should find it at a number of retailers, i'm pretty sure woodcraft carries it and they offer free shipping right now.

Andy

Or you could try this.

http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.co...st_Removal.htm

http://www.instructables.com/id/Elec...val-aka-Magic/

I built mine using a 48" long by 16" wide plastic container with angle iron in all 4 corners for anodes and steel welding rod to hang the tool being cleaned from a 2X2 across the top of the container. The battery charger works great and I've cleaned off many OLD rusty tools with this method.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Bob