Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canucks and Yankees

Blog Entries

Exclamation Dr. Zack stepped in it again

Hey Dr. Zack,

Seems like everywhere you go, you're stepping in it. We'll have to get together sometimes and talk BBQ. Here in SC, everywhere you go, you get a different kind of BBQ. Up-Sate gets ketchup base, Midlands gets mustard base, and Low Country get vinegar and red pepper.
    If anybody else gives you a hard time, we'll take care of him.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In these parts Ketchup and Vinegar are tabbooooo..... The flavor of BBQ should come from dry spices, [Secret crassified recipes] and smoke: Hickory, Apple Wood, Pear or Pecan. In Texas, they use Mesquite but that's what they have.

The tenderness comes from slow cookin' and a constant low temperature. Now ribs require a special trick: Increase the temp from 210 degrees to @ 260 in the third hour to render the fat and get them to tarn loose from the bone. I cook a 4 hour, baby back rib, 1.75 lbs and down. Big ribs ain't gonna win no trophy's.

Good ribs don't need sauce but that's where tomato based recipes belong. Putting tomato based sauces on the meat while it is cooking causes caramelization....... Yuuuuukkkkkkkk.... Puke...spit... drink more beer and move to the next booth. Serve the sauce on the side at the table.... that's OK.

I'm judging the Arkansas State BBQ Championships on March 29th. I'm sure regretting the lost time in my shop but somebody has to do it. And yes Ken these boys do drink massive quantities of beer and generally run around acting ignerent and dressing funny.
    Last edited by Dr. Zack Jennings; 03-14-2003 at 10:54 PM.
    Zack Jennings
    Refugee from the Pond

Who cares?

Call the rest of 'em what you like - just don't start picking on us limeys.

Well, shoot, I may as well throw one more into the mix. Be careful how you call me a Hoosier (even though I wasn't born one, I was born in MI). I call Indiana home, and consider myself a Hoosier. If any of you consider a Hoosier to be a dumb, basketball watching hick, then you will have seriously underestimated my mental capacity and put yourself at a grave disadvantage.

And, Bobby Knight is still in the top 5 of all time for coaches (and yes, he does have a temper problem).

Jason

P.S. Dr. Zack, do you care if someone brings beer made in their own American kitchen from a European recipe?!?

I also like caramelized ribs, but not as well as the dry-spiced ones. Just a different one of the 31 flavors.

Speakin' of Ribs....

Here is a Dry Rub recipe for Ribs that is really good! I use this Dry Rub when I do Ribs on the Smoker. It works great on the Charcoal and Electric Smokers. (I have used this recipe on both, the Electric Smoker gets them done quicker, but the results are the same.)

Smokin’ Ribs – Dry Rub

4 Cups of Sugar
    1 tsp. Ginger
    1 tsp. Allspice
    1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
    1 tsp. Paprika
    1 tsp. Meat Tenderizer
    2 tbsp. Onion Powder
    2 tbsp. Garlic Powder
    2 tbsp. Black Pepper

Mix seasonings well in pan. Rinse 2 slabs of Ribs and pat dry with paper towel. Coat well with seasonings mixture

Smoke approx. 3 – 5 hours. I add Hickory or Mesquite chips to the Charcoal or Heater pan for that good Smoky Flavor.

On the Electric Smoker, check them after 3 hours, they sometimes are close to being done after that period of time. The Charcoal Smoker is not as hot, so it takes a little longer.
    Last edited by Kevin Gerstenecker; 03-14-2003 at 9:27 PM.

I've been both in past days. Born in Canada, spent time growing up in the Northeast. I for one am deeply, deeply offended. But my hurt feelings can be mollified through the consumption of fine BBQ. Ten pounds oughta just about do it. I'll be home all day tomorrow so it'll be no problem for the FedEX man to find me!

Jim Izat
    The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne.

Geoffrey Chaucer

I'm extremely offended!!!

Yankee!?!
    As a diehard Red Sox fan, I just can't accept that term. I move that you be expelled from the Creek. ;-)

Craig

Enough Already

My apology was sincere. Although I have enjoyed your support, I have learned a few things in my 30+ plus years as a health care provider.

Listen to the patient's chief complaint.... This fellow was and is sincere. Your support is only adding to his pain. I have read this man's postings to the forum and visited his website. He's a good guy, a good woodworker, and a good contributor to this forum.

As much as I may have enjoyed some of your comments, I would much rather have his support in the future. I did offend him and for that I am truly sorry.

Please don't add any more comments. This thread needs pass on to oblivion. I can hear the fat lady singing. It's yesterday's news......
    Zack Jennings
    Refugee from the Pond

Wink Touchy Touchy Touchy ...

These terms are so benign, I'm mystified by these people's anticipatory sensitivy.
    You're not gonna please everyone.
    Although, I always thought "Yank" referred to all Americans, not just northeastern ones.
    Canuckly Yours,
    Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Closing Thread

To all:

At the request of a user, I've stopped this thread, though in
    the future, threads will be stopped and/or deleted only if
    reported by two or more users.

Without taking sides in the matter, I hope the outcome is
    agreeable to all parties involved, as objectively, both sides have
    their merits.

Thanks,

_Aaron_

Excerpt from our draft:

<FONT SIZE=1>
    <B>B. Self Governance</B>
    All posts are subject to moderation. If a post is deemed offensive
    by a user, it may be reported to the moderator by using the 'Report
    Post to Moderator' option. If a post is reported to a moderator
    by two or more members, it may be subject to removal at our
    discretion.
    &nbsp;&nbsp;<b>1. Religion and Politics</b>
    This is not a forum for proselytization or propaganda. Accordingly,
    we ask that you abstain from engaging in religious or political debate
    unrelated to woodworking.
    &nbsp;&nbsp;<b>2. Disagreements, Flaming, and Personal Attacks</b>
    Disagreements are almost certain to occur. Please exercise good judgement
    and be respectful of dissenting opinions. Name-calling and other personal
    attacks are prohibited, but must be brought to the attention of
    the moderators if a post containing such attacks is undesirable.
    </font>